Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Imperial, 91 New yorker, 00 Neon, 00 Dak, 00 Ram 1500, 06 Ram 2500, 07 Charger R/T, 22 Ram 1500
75 Posts
There are a number of knowledgeable people on this forum who will help guide you in the right direction. Good luck solving this issue. The more information and codes you can give on here the better luck finding a solution.

·
Super Moderator
40,015 Posts
There are many fault codes that will put the transmission in limp mode, without knowing the codes it can just be a guess which leads to parts swapping.
A cheap OBDII code reader may provide enough codes to get started with this.
Does the transmission always stay in limp mode after a rest or does it start shifting then drop into limp mode?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
First place I'd look is at all of the ground connections on the drivers side fender. There's at least 7 ground connections behind the air box/battery on that fender. Corrosion happens there because of battery gases and we get strange behaviors from the vehicle. Remove and clean EVERY one of those wires and check for breakage on each one. If not that, then try removing the connector from the transmission control module and cleaning it. You'll have to take out the battery, air box and battery tray to get a good shot at it, but it's not that bad. Give those things a try as all it'll cost you is some time. MAYBE one or the other will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are many fault codes that will put the transmission in limp mode, without knowing the codes it can just be a guess which leads to parts swapping.
A cheap OBDII code reader may provide enough codes to get started with this.
Does the transmission always stay in limp mode after a rest or does it start shifting then drop into limp mode?
Takes about 50-100ft. Happens every time its turned off then on again

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The P0700 is a general transmission code that will set the check engine lamp. A scan of the transmission codes is needed to determine the actual transmission diagnostic code that is triggering the P0700. You will need a scanner capable of pulling the transmission codes. A number of auto parts store are able to pull the trans codes and give you a printout.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,679 Posts
Correct. The P0700 is just the PCM telling you that A TCM code is stored. It gives us no direction to go in.
We need the code that is stored in the TCM.
Try another, more capable OBD2 scan tool or try to retrieve codes in the odometer display using the cluster self test (this will not work on all cars):

Reactions: [Censored]Cruiser

·
Super Moderator
40,015 Posts
Unfortunately the P0700 is just a generic transmission code. Hopefully you can get access to a more sophisticated scanner.
I’m just guessing, but if it starts off in first gear then quickly drops into limp mode I’d be concerned it may be a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one.,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately the P0700 is just a generic transmission code. Hopefully you can get access to a more sophisticated scanner.
I’m just guessing, but if it starts off in first gear then quickly drops into limp mode I’d be concerned it may be a mechanical problem rather than an electrical one.,
Its supposed to be decent here this weekend. I plan on limping it to a store with a scanner. Ill also do my grounds under fds quarter panel. I looked today and wow.....wasnt about to get into it today....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct. The P0700 is just the PCM telling you that A TCM code is stored. It gives us no direction to go in.
Try another, more capable OBD2 scan tool or try to retrieve codes in the odometer display using the cluster self test (this will not work on all cars):
Just tried this and it gave me the two codes already present. But their is other letters and numbers.

What are they and how would i get a read out(or close to) of what they are?

Is there a name for those codes?
It may be beneficial to drop the transmission pan and inspect for debris. A black slimy film on the pan is ok as is a fuzzy magnet. Chunks of metal are not ok. Change out the filter and refill with ATF+4 only (4.5 to 5 quarts).
Yup very familiar with atf4 lol had a few ram 1500.....another Chrysler/Dodge DO NOT BUY nightmare of a vehicle

·
Super Moderator
23,679 Posts
You may also see displays of the cluster software version & other cluster info show up in the odometer.
What is displayed?
The TCM may still need interrogation with a capable scan tool.

·
Super Moderator
23,679 Posts
At this age, any component failure has to be considered 'maintenance'.
By 2003, the 41TE was considered just as reliable as any other manufacturer's automatic transaxle.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
. . . . The TCM may still need interrogation with a capable scan tool. . . . .
By model year 2003 the 4 cylinder engines were using the NGC / next generation controller. The TCM / transmission control module logic was integrated with the engine controller logic / PCM. Any rudimentary scan tool that can retrieve engine codes should also display transmission diagnostic codes???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It may be beneficial to drop the transmission pan and inspect for debris. A black slimy film on the pan is ok as is a fuzzy magnet. Chunks of metal are not ok. Change out the filter and refill with ATF+4 only (4.5 to 5 quarts).

Fixed it......turns out it just needed a filter and fluid change, hopefully. Either way limp modes off. Thats all i needed accomplished Thanx for all the advice and input.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts