Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
My PT had a sound almost identical to that. One of the bolts attaching the torque converter to the flexplate had backed out. I got underneath, and added locktite (blue) to each bolt and tightened everything back up. No problems since. Just a long shot, but wanted to post it just in case.

Here is a video I made at the time:

Reactions: gminnebo

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yes, front of engine, I had my daughter place her finger on the timing cover, she said she could feel the noise, she also put her finger on the oil filler cap and felt nothing. I’m thinking timing belt, or possibly a bearing on one of cam shafts… cost wise I’m hoping for the belt… as hard a job as that is…
When the flexplate bolt loosened on my PT, I thought for sure it was coming from the front of the engine. Someone suggested the flexplate, thinking it may have been cracked, and that's why I checked. It doesn't sound like a cam bearing would be making that noise, but it is not that difficult to get the cover off and check.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Will definitely look there, is there an easy access to check, in my old 2.2 2.5 turbo days I can’t remember if there was a access under it…
Yes, it is easy to get to. You just need to remove an access plate underneath and then you can get to the bolts. I just used a large screwdriver to slowly rotate the flexplate by engaging with the gear teeth and slowly turning it.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
If you watch my video above regarding the noise from the flexplate, notice how it changed between drive and reverse. I imagine if the bolts are loose enough it won't make any difference, but perhaps you can check that to see if it does. It would help to confirm the problem.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yes, the intercooler pipe and power steering lines are in the way. IIRC, once the lower pipe is removed, you have to remove the two bolts holding the pipe on and two other bolts that go through the cover to the transmission (one near the starter and one on the backside). The one by the starter, you have to also loosen the bolts that hold the bracket onto the engine block.

This is probably an SRT-4, but its the cast aluminum plate that the intercooler pipe and P/S lines are bolted to.
View attachment 84622
Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize the intercooler pipe was there.

Reactions: MChat
1 - 5 of 5 Posts