Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son's 1993 Dodge Spirit 3.0 v6 A-670 3 speed automatic. Is it possible to pull the rack and pinion without dropping the crossmember on which it is mounted. I saw somewhere it said pull back the carpet and you can get to the pinch bolt on the U-joint and release the u-joint so you can remove the rack and pinion without having to drop the crossmember. I know this was a Chrysler vehicle they were talkinb about but not sure it was the Spirit/Acclaim line. Anyone done this or knows about it?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
As long as rust isn't too bad, dropping the crossmember is fairly easy. 2 bolts and 2 nuts.
The LH-car steering gear is mounted on the firewall and can pull out through the side.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Short answer is no.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
S . . . . I saw somewhere it said pull back the carpet and you can get to the pinch bolt on the U-joint and release the u-joint so you can remove the rack and pinion without having to drop the crossmember. . . . .
See the attached image of the typical steering column assembly for front wheel drive Chrysler built vehicles. It is NOT as simple as described to remove the upper steering column assembly and disconnect the pinch clamp assembly from the rack and pinion stub shaft. As ImperialCrown mentioned it is much easier to remove the 4 bolts and drop the sub frame assembly a few inches to remove the rack and pinion assembly.

There is a safety reason designed into the vehicle such that you have to drop the cross member to remove the rack and pinion steering assembly. If for some reason the tension pin would separate from the pinch clamp assembly that connects the coupling shaft to the rack and pinion stub shaft, the rack and pinion will NOT separate from the steering shaft because of the rigid attachment. If the coupling shaft were allowed to separate from the rack and pinion stub shaft, all steering control would be lost which is NOT a good thing.

Text Line art Auto part Diagram Automotive exterior

·
Banned
2,908 Posts
what is the problem with it. I had what I thought the rack was going out in my kids 95 LeBaron...I did a entire flush of the system and added new fluid and it "fixed" it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts