Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

I pulled the 3 fuses for the BCM and left them out overnight. My plan was to reset it, thinking it'd be the same as disconnecting the battery overnight. Now, the car won't do anything. The dash doesn't light up when opening the door and the key does absolutely nothing when turned on. I have no power to anything except the head/taillights and the dome light. Outside the lights, it acts as if the battery has been removed.

The reason I wanted to reset the BCM, was because I had an issue with my passenger side headlight not working. The bulb is good, but it doesn't light up and the car says Low Beam Headlamp out. I replaced the headlamp assembly and the light hesitated to come on the first 5 times or so, then it simply stopped coming on at all.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I hope to avoid having it towed to a dealer and spending money I don't have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I realized one of the BCM fuses was in the wrong location. The fuse map makes it look like it should be directly next to another one, but there's supposed to be a gap. Anyway, I now have full power to everything, but it still will NOT start. Everything comes on with the ignition, but when attempting to start, it does nothing. And no, the battery is not dead.

·
Super Moderator
32,661 Posts
Does this mean it won't crank? Or cranks but won't start?

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
I found this part interesting:

"They confirmed an electrical problem between TCM and engine control module most likely cause. Due to the loss of communication between control modules the starter couldn't tell if the transmission was in neutral/park or not, so wouldn't engage the starter."

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I found this part interesting:

"They confirmed an electrical problem between TCM and engine control module most likely cause. Due to the loss of communication between control modules the starter couldn't tell if the transmission was in neutral/park or not, so wouldn't engage the starter."
Yes, I don't think that would have occurred to me even with my thinking cap on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this mean it won't crank? Or cranks but won't start?
It will not crank. I turn the key and everything acts normal, but the starter doesn't engage.

This is definitely interesting. I don't know if pulling the fuses would cause this, or if having a manual transmission would matter.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This is definitely interesting. I don't know if pulling the fuses would cause this, or if having a manual transmission would matter.
Well, that would interrupt communication, if that matters while the car shut off. Have you tried moving the shifter around?

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Bad clutch safety switch? (If there is such a thing in this vehicle.) The last manual transmission vehicles I had (both GM) had a clutch safety switch where you had to depress the clutch pedal to start regardless of whether the vehicle was in neutral or not.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
As a suggestion, disconnect the battery for about an hour to allow all of the computers/components power-down and clear. This will put everything in a known state and allow the components to reestablish communication on their terms.

Hope this helps,

Gerry G.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the incite everyone! I finally figured it out and hate to admit what it was. Somehow, between leaving the fuses out overnight and the diagram being upside down, I had 2 of the 3 fuses in the wrong locations. Boy do I feel stupid...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thanks for the incite everyone! I finally figured it out and hate to admit what it was. Somehow, between leaving the fuses out overnight and the diagram being upside down, I had 2 of the 3 fuses in the wrong locations. Boy do I feel stupid...

I used to fix office equipment for a living. The opportunity to be stupid was ever present and no one passed on every opportunity.

Drive long and prosper. ;)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Jeez! Falling apart already?? Wow. What a surprise.
Falling apart? Hardly. It had a brain fart. My neighbor has a 2008 Buick that he had back to the dealer 17 times for a total of 7.months for electronic gremlins. My dad had to take a 16 month old Kia in for its second tramsmission. That qualifies for falling apart, not this.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Falling apart? Hardly. It had a brain fart. My neighbor has a 2008 Buick that he had back to the dealer 17 times for a total of 7.months for electronic gremlins. My dad had to take a 16 month old Kia in for its second tramsmission. That qualifies for falling apart, not this.

Falling apart? Not my 92 Grand Voyager with 321,000 miles on it............... Take care of them and they last

1 - 20 of 20 Posts