Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AH-depressing night .

Now 93 %of my restoration is done , when im installing waterpump pulley and making ready for belt. Then i discover that crank-pulley and waterpump-pulley has at least 3mm gap in alignement .

I dont think i have any play and im sure i installed crank-sprocket right. I dont understand this-ive departed pulleys and checked. still confused. Thou something is not right some way. The Only way i reason now i can get out of this is by chimsing The waterpump-pulley - however i dont like the idea-

Has anybody any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
What year Daytona is this? Any chance that you put the water pump pulley on backwards?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on pulleys line-up problem.

Since there was a small response here on this issue i have concluded that problem is the waterpump.

WP,s are simply sold with a small disalignment. Im sure i have done the crank-sprocket right. I compared sprocket with another engine and all mounting is right. (exept for i had put on an 2,5 NA timing cover that did not fit, -for you info)
So back to waterpump. - i shimmed it with 3 small washers(1,4mm thick)and i think problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
I've never seen this happen before. It may be the wrong water pump.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a headache-

i have probably driven for a year or so with the pulleys as they were before i shimmed today,There was no belt noises, but sure they were not lined up.
Im think i bought my pump on rockauto - but is there a differens in model and years?

I know there is a difference in the end where you mount the pulley. Mine is round, but there is one with kind off "three ends"

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Starting in 1988 or 89 (I think 1989), the pump is different, and turns the opposite direction, and has a different pulley.

Since you shimmed the water pump pulley outward, I'm wondering if the crank pulley or the gear behind it was seated in far enough. Does the crank pulley line up OK with the power steering, alternator and air conditioning pulleys?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Check the part number on the waterpump pulley and post it. I had the same problem on my Daytona. The pulley changed through the years. Turns out someone installed an earlier model pulley on my 91 and I always shredded belts. Ordered a new pulley from the dealer and all was solved.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason i know the crank pulley is enough seated in, is is that it is just 2-3mm from touching the snow guard.

And, yes it also lines up with alternator. I like these questions- they confirm that im (probably) thinking right thoughts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts