Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Purolator air filter. Is that a good brand? I can't find any tests of it online.

(2) I also purchased 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Pep Boys and asked them to perform the change. The idiot mechanic poured all five quarts in (instead of stopping at 4 and a half). When I asked why he said, "The computer doesn't show halves so it just rounds-up to 5." :-o Pep Boys sucketh.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Purolator filters are excellent filters. I've been using them for nearly 15 years now and have NEVER had any problems with them. I use the air filters on both of my vehicles and use the Pure One Gold filters for my oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
This is why I never let anyone change my oil.

Purolator is a great brand, as are all the major brands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on my way to work and couldn't really crawl under a car. I wonder if they forgot to apply grease to the air filter's edges before installing it? Most likely.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
??

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Grease on air filter? Not even!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Yes, Purolator is a good quality air filter. I've used them with no issues. I've also used Fram, NAPA and other air filters.

As far as Pep Boys, fine for purchasing oil, coolant, other brand name items, but I stay away from their service dept and parts.

Grease on the air filter? What's with that?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a Purolator air filter.

However, on the oil filters... I used to use their Pure One oil filter on my Ford. Some years ago I had a series of filters that seemed to have anti-drainback valve problems (i.e. noisy dry-sounding startups accompanied by slow oil-pressure buildup, like the 1st start after an oil change on that car) and haven't tried them again since.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
That's old school. Air filters usually have a soft rubber gasket built in so the grease is no longer required for a good seal.
It must be really old, old school. I've been driving and maintaining vehicles for over 35 years and never heard of that.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I've never heard of that either, Doug. And my Dad was 48 when I was born and I learned a lot about working on cars by him teaching me. He never did that one, though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sir Moses Wellington said:
Purolator is owned by Bosch, never had any issues with their filters, or really any of their products.
No issues with Purolator filters, have used them for years, on the other hand Bosch Oxygen Sensors are next to worthless, I never got them to work right, I had better luck with OS's pulled off mopar wrecks in the Pull Apart salvage yards...

theaveng said:
I purchased a Purolator air filter. Is that a good brand? I can't find any tests of it online.

(2) I also purchased 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Pep Boys and asked them to perform the change. The idiot mechanic poured all five quarts in (instead of stopping at 4 and a half). When I asked why he said, "The computer doesn't show halves so it just rounds-up to 5." :-o Pep Boys sucketh.

Change your own oil if at all possible, the oil changers are the high school dropouts and careless to boot, You either get the wrong oil, or too much or too little, or the sump plug is either cross threadded or on too loose, or they lose yours and jam in one that does not fit. As to oil filters, they forget to change the old one, or put the new one on too loose so that they unscrew themselves while driving or on so tight that you need to crush it or spear it with a screwdriver to get it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts