Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the Spirit on blocks while I'm in school. I'm thinking cinderblocks with wooden cribbing on top, two on the K-frame and two as far outboard (on either side) under the rear axle. Is this alright until May, or am I going to damage the car?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Cinderblocks are NOT safe to put a car up on. They have been known to crumble, and then the car crushes someone.

Best to use 4 jackstands. They are safe and are made for elevating a car safely.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What is the point in putting the car on blocks for storage? Is it for saving springs and tires? I had a Pontiac once standing half a year, just increased tire pressures and charged battery once.
Might make sense easily, for me it just sounds weird due to I think they were not "engineered" to be parked on blocks.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
What is the point in putting the car on blocks for storage? Is it for saving springs and tires? I had a Pontiac once standing half a year, just increased tire pressures and charged battery once.
Might make sense easily, for me it just sounds weird due to I think they were not "engineered" to be parked on blocks.
Tires can develop flat spots if the vehicle is parked and not driven for long periods of time.

As to the battery life, I would disconnect the battery if the vehicle is going to sit for more than a month. For my '06 Ram and '10 Journey the owner's manual recommends disconnecting the battery if the vehicle will be stored for more than 3-4 weeks. And add Sta-Bil to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As Bob Lincoln said, cinder/cement blocks are not safe. When I have to do this, I use sturdy blocks of wood. Only because that's what I have. Jackstands would be best. I think supporting it at the points you mentioned will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I mention it because a deputy fire chief locally was crushed to death under his car when supported in this manner. Not worth it. Jackstands are cheap, put them under the rear axle and the front subframe rails.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
Unless the car is going to sit for years, it's pointless.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I put my neon up every year i stored it. I just used two scissor jacks on each side and took a little pressure off the car. They were low profile tires so i am sure the flat spot would be worse with them.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
I put my neon up every year i stored it. I just used two scissor jacks on each side and took a little pressure off the car. They were low profile tires so i am sure the flat spot would be worse with them.
Jack stands are still safer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts