Allpar Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
You'd need the console shifter insert that has the extra positions AND I am not up to speed as to the dash display. Don't know if 242 equiped KJ's had the same lighting display as the 231 equipped models. There might be a different display and a different wiring loom to accommodate the extra features. Seems to me (from memory as the boss is out and about in hers) Part Time lit up red/orange Full Time was green, with also a Hi-Lo indicator? I would have to research or look at hers to be sure and check the number of wires involved.
If you just relied upon the shifter position plate and didn't look at the dash,it's probably enough to look down and know what range you are in, but I am not sure how that inter-ties with the ESP/ABS. Likely the ABS is turned off in low range.

·
Jeepaholic
5,642 Posts
You'd need the console shifter insert that has the extra positions AND I am not up to speed as to the dash display. Don't know if 242 equiped KJ's had the same lighting display as the 231 equipped models. There might be a different display and a different wiring loom to accommodate the extra features. Seems to me (from memory as the boss is out and about in hers) Part Time lit up red/orange Full Time was green, with also a Hi-Lo indicator? I would have to research or look at hers to be sure and check the number of wires involved.
If you just relied upon the shifter position plate and didn't look at the dash,it's probably enough to look down and know what range you are in, but I am not sure how that inter-ties with the ESP/ABS. Likely the ABS is turned off in low range.

The guy on the blog was speculating that because his Dakota was not built with the 242 originally, that they never installed the lighting in the dash to illuminate for the Full time setting. When he connected the wires, it did not light up for full-time. I don't have any idea if he is correct or not, or if he just wired wrong. He did say he had to make some modifications because the connection was different from what he had in his truck. Like you said, if you just look at the shifter, you can tell what mode you are in. I know by feel what mode I am in now. But you know a lot more about this than I do!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
The guy on the blog was speculating that because his Dakota was not built with the 242 originally, that they never installed the lighting in the dash to illuminate for the Full time setting. When he connected the wires, it did not light up for full-time. I don't have any idea if he is correct or not, or if he just wired wrong. He did say he had to make some modifications because the connection was different from what he had in his truck. Like you said, if you just look at the shifter, you can tell what mode you are in. I know by feel what mode I am in now. But you know a lot more about this than I do!
Probably the quickest and most accurate way to find out, is if one of our Part Guys here were willing to look up the instrument cluster part numbers, if the 231 equipped KJ has the same part number as the 242 equipped KJ, then the Full Time indicator is there, but not used until the correct transfer case is wired up.

·
Jeepaholic
5,642 Posts
Probably the quickest and most accurate way to find out, is if one of our Part Guys here were willing to look up the instrument cluster part numbers, if the 231 equipped KJ has the same part number as the 242 equipped KJ, then the Full Time indicator is there, but not used until the correct transfer case is wired up.

Or I could ask when I take it over to the dealer. I still take it there from time to time, I've built a good rapport with them over the years. That and I want to take a looksie at the new arrivals on the lot. They have some Renegades that just came in, and a whole bunch of Wranglers out front...a man CAN dream afterall...lol

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
You were fine up to this:
"Command Trac is just Part Time 4WD, the xfr case has a locked differential and your option to engage 4WD or RWD. "

Command Trac or any other fixed, part time system does NOT have any differential AT ALL.
Yep, I even thought that as I wrote it, my explanation was getting long enough already. But arguably I wasn't keeping it simpler and instead could confuse someone by saying there's a locked differential when there isn't anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess mainly what I am trying to understand, and forgive my ignorance, is how does an AWD system of the Durango or Explorer match up with a traditional 4WD set-up like my Command Trac in real-world performance. Since I have rarely used the 4-Lo setting, for my needs it's not a deal breaker. What I am wondering is how does a AWD system compare to 4-Hi as far as distribution of power to the four wheels. I know AWD systems are not all the same, but in general. I have done a lot of research on this, and it seems a little confusing at times because everyone has an opinion and they sometimes conflict...like most things in life I guess. :)
Hey Zagnut27, I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right. Looking at, and just about to put the trigger on a 2012 Durango Citadel V6 with AWD. It's Almost impossible to find any information on how it stacks up to a regular four-wheel-drive. I'm trading in a Dodge ram 500 4x4, and I just want to make sure that I'm making the right choice. I think for the most part we've only had 7 inches of snow here, and even that was not the norm. I want to make sure that I'm able to get where I need to get with this Durango. Sometimes we go visit family in the mountains and there is a possibility of 8 to inches of snow. The Dodge ram had no trouble with this, but I'm not so sure about the Durango. Have you done that anywhere information? And what did you decide? Thanks

·
Jeepaholic
5,642 Posts
Hey Zagnut27, I'm new here so hope I'm doing this right. Looking at, and just about to put the trigger on a 2012 Durango Citadel V6 with AWD. It's Almost impossible to find any information on how it stacks up to a regular four-wheel-drive. I'm trading in a Dodge ram 500 4x4, and I just want to make sure that I'm making the right choice. I think for the most part we've only had 7 inches of snow here, and even that was not the norm. I want to make sure that I'm able to get where I need to get with this Durango. Sometimes we go visit family in the mountains and there is a possibility of 8 to inches of snow. The Dodge ram had no trouble with this, but I'm not so sure about the Durango. Have you done that anywhere information? And what did you decide? Thanks
I haven't bought one...yet. Probably next year. But there are members on here that do have Durangos...Valiant67, PCRMike, and Mentalicca I believe all have them and can probably give you real-world info on capability. If you encounter deep snow frequently, then I'm not sure if it's the best choice just based on ground clearance...will most likely snow plow or high center in deep snow I would imagine, but these guys would know more than I. I'm always curious to find out more about capability too, especially because I'll be replacing my Liberty most likely with a Durango...but we'll see. Good luck, and let me know what you find out. :)

Oh, and welcome to Allpar!!

·
Super Moderator
37,267 Posts
I can only speak for 2wd, I don't live in an area with much snow (average 2" per year). But I love my Durango and it's a great tow vehicle.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts