Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I last made a post here. Haven't had many issues with my Daytona especially since it's not my daily driver now. However, I was checking out Daytona's on the web and started reading the Wikipedia write up on it. I noticed down in the 1992-1993 section there is a mention about the 2.5L turbo 1 option on the IROC trim level. I knew they were a rare option car and just wanted to know if the Wikipedia write up was correct about there being less than 230 made. Also, do all these 2.5 T1 IROC's fall under the Shelby Performance Package sales code mentioned in the write up because I thought the addition of the Shelby sticker was just a dealer add on and not factory. Here's a link to the write up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Daytona

Another thing is am I correct that the 2.5 T1 option was last offered in the 1992 models and was dropped and never offered in 1993. And all that mentioned above only relates to the 1992 Daytona IROC's.

·
Registered
262 Posts
From what I have found 230 was the total production for the 92 Daytona IROC with the Turbo I. Yes 1992 was the last year for the Turbo I motor, AA Body, P body, J body and G body. That is the first I every heard about the Shelby Sales code. I have seen a couple of these cars in person even way back in 1993. They all had the Shelby sticker on the corner of the hood and one on the rear bumper. Those are factory stickers, a friend of mine found all the decals in the dealer catalogs years ago.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1991spirites said:
From what I have found 230 was the total production for the 92 Daytona IROC with the Turbo I. Yes 1992 was the last year for the Turbo I motor, AA Body, P body, J body and G body. That is the first I every heard about the Shelby Sales code. I have seen a couple of these cars in person even way back in 1993. They all had the Shelby sticker on the corner of the hood and one on the rear bumper. Those are factory stickers, a friend of mine found all the decals in the dealer catalogs years ago.
Thanks for replying to confirm the total production numbers and the sticker being a factory applied item which I thought was a dealer add-on to try and sell the Daytona's. As for the Shelby PP sales code thing, it's also a first for me and hopefully someone with more insight to it can give more info about it. Does your friend still have access to that catalog? I wouldn't mind seeing what the part numbers to those stickers are.

·
King
3,488 Posts
I also came across a third gen IROC Daytona.
Dead in someones driveway.
Is it worth saving????
I didn't see any turbo or v6 emblems so how can I tell whats in it???
Last inspected 2010
red on red dented drivers side fender.
Honey look what followed me home again. LOL

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I think it's the T1.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
The IROC is a trim level. On the third gens there was base, ES, and IROC. With the IROC you had different engines available from the 3.0 to the 2.5L Turbo.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Don't forget the IROC R/T, with 2.2L T3 turbo. That was 3rd gen only.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TurboPacifica said:
New question:
what makes a Daytona a Daytona IROC
or was it just stickers from the dealer???
You get the better suspension, 16inch wheels, leather wrap steering and shift knob, for 92 engines were 2.5 Turbo I, 3.0 v6 and 2.2 Turbo III, by 93 you could only get the 3.0v6 and 2.2 Turbo III.
You only got IROC decals on the doors on the Turbo I and V6 cars, the IROC R/T's got the badge on the fender. The decals if I remember where factory installed on those cars. Also I remember reading somewhere that on the 92 IROCs the size of the decal was different from the Turbo I cars and the V6 cars.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TurboPacifica said:
I do like the wheels.
seeing this car rot in someones driveway is very sad.
That is very sad to see. I once saw a 84 Chrysler Laser (had the four lugs) rotting in someone's backyard once. Did you find out what trim level that 3rd gen Daytona is? IROC or not, the 3rd gen has the lowest total production of all the gen's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's a 1992 , from the pics it looks like a Mitsubishi V6 powered IROC because there isn't any small turbo stickers on the hood. But the only way to know if it's got the rare optional 2.5L T1 engine is to check under the hood. Hopefully, that 'Tona goes to a home where it'll be appreciated and not to the salvage yards.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Easy way to tell, look at the dash, if it where a Turbo it would have a boost gauge inside the tach. Also look at the vin# 8th digit, A=2.2 Turbo III, J=2.5 Turbo I and 3=3.0 V6.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1991spirites is right, I feel like Homer, "Doh!". TurboPacific, it's got leather seats. Nice. Too bad I'm on the other coast. IROC V6 it's okay still low production numbers when comparing to the 1st and 2nd gen. If your little lady is okay about, it should turn out to be a nice daily driver. Hint: quietly mention it's for her but pull the hi-tension lead boot just slightly to not make contact but looks like it's attached so she'll think there's a problem. When you want to drive it have the hood open so she can't see reseat the lead, have a nice cold beer and after 1/2-3/4 hr tell her you need to test drive the fix. LOL!

·
King
3,488 Posts
My wife wouldnt be a hard sell. Now the lady who chased us away from her driveway might be.
the inspection sticker said 2010 and when I asked if she wanted to sell. She said "Get Lost and get out of here".
and we did. Didnt evan get a chance to leave my number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts