Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 10.1 screens glossy, such as what's found in the 2019+ Grand Cherokee, or are they matte, like the 2014-2018 Grand Cherokee?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
26 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 10.1 screens are just coming out on the Pacifica and Durango for 2021. The 8.4 should be the biggest in the Grand Cherokee's right now; they haven't gotten an interior update in the past few years.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
26 Posts
Doing enough new car PDI's on WK's in the past (particularly the 2018's & 2019's), I do believe they are matte. For comparisons sake, the previous RU Pacifica's 8.4's were glossy too, I believe.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear they switched back to matte, I would like to think they were listening to me for that particular piece of feedback 😇

·
Super Moderator
6,895 Posts
Glad to hear they switched back to matte, I would like to think they were listening to me for that particular piece of feedback 😇
I don't believe that's the case. Their photos show a glossy coating.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I purchased a Mopar touchscreen protector kit for my 8.4N. It is matte or satin finish. 2 came in the package with a microfiber wipe. I still get fingerprints on the surface screen, but the base screen is protected from abrasion, skin oils/acids and fingernail dents.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
Glossy seems to be the way most manufacturers are going. Glossy with that piano black trim all around the perimeter of the screen, so everything always looks dirty (to me). :rolleyes:

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
Get enough glare off the matte screen, don't need any help getting blinded while backing up. Need a delete screen option.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
Get enough glare off the matte screen, don't need any help getting blinded while backing up. Need a delete screen option.
The only way you’ll get a delete screen option is to buy something older than a 2018 model as during the 2018 year reverse cameras became mandatory.

·
Registered
138 Posts
From Uconnect 4 onward, I believe, Chrysler's infotainment systems have used capacitive rather than older resistive touchscreens. (That version debuted in 2017 300/Charger/Challenger, as I recall.) While capacitive screens are more sensitive and support multi-touch, they also cost more and don't work well with gloves. I prefer matte finish to avoid glare, fingerprints, and dust, but most consumers have been conditioned to expect glossy given their experiences with smartphones, tablets, and the like. And I don't know that I've encountered a capacitive screen with matte finish in any device. So it seems glossy screens are the future, 10.1" Uconnect included.

While I can accept the glossy screens, piano black trim is just a bad idea. It looks good when clean, but simply doesn't stay that way for long, and is way too susceptible to permanent scratches when used on high-touch areas like center consoles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts