Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we attended an anniversary party at a local restaurant. 40 people were invited, 37 showed up on time. The table I sat at was away in a corner of the restaurant. Tight seating but okay. Two of the empty seats of the no-shows were across from me while the other was at different table. Two hours into the party the three missing people show up and want to be sat together. They were individuals, not married or family, just friends. The waitress approached me to put a chair between me and the gentleman sitting at the end of the table. We declined because there was not enough space for another person. The guy on the end already had his back to the wall. Other people were then asked to reseat themselves so these three could sit together. Now, the host family of the party is upset with me because I would not move. I told them it was not my problem these people came two hours late. They should have just sat at the empty remaining seats. They said I should have accommodated their guests. I thought I was a guest too?? Was I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
I don't think you were wrong. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I guess the rude, late arrivals were the squeakiest.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
They should have been accommodated only if they had been there at the beginning, when everyone was being seated. If they are inconsiderate enough to arrive two hours late, they take what they get.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
peterjon1 said:
They should have been accommodated only if they had been there at the beginning, when everyone was being seated. If they are inconsiderate enough to arrive two hours late, they take what they get.
+1. Absolutely. You did nothing wrong. They're lucky they were seated at all.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
peterjon1 said:
+2! You did nothing wrong. They were inconsiderate by being late. If anything, the host should have been upset with them for being late.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
+3. People being "fashionably late" have always peeved me. Why should they think that they're better than everyone else and anyone should kiss their rear ends just to make them happy? You did the exact thing I would have done when you said no. Good for you!

·
Registered
699 Posts
You are a guest there. It is not your responsibility to change your seating just to accommodate some clowns 2 hours late. Stand your ground. Unless the food was free, pick your friends better...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts