Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking my 79 new yorker for a drive when I hit a fairly large pothole. I heard a large thumping sound from the rear end and afterwards the car didn't ride right and became very bumpy. Upon further inspection I found a part of the leaf spring or hanger to be broken near the front mounting point of the leaf spring. Here is a picture. I am going to be replacing both leaf springs very soon, however I'm unsure if the split metal in the picture is the leaf spring itself, or the hanger. If it is the hanger, how would I go about replacing that.
Brown Wood Bedrock Artifact Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
It looks like where the leaf wraps around the front bushing has rotted out and fractured. The hanger itself looks OK.
I would avoid driving the car until the springs are replaced. This is a highly-stressed area as it is the point where the rear axle pushes the car forward and pulls it backward.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It seems to be the spring thats disintegrated, see the remains of a small weld on the bottom. ( the small bump under the bushing.)

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
I had a spring that broke right there. I think your only problem is the spring.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Looks like the eye is split off the leaf. Lucky. I've seen them broken and come up through the floor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, I will be ordering new springs soon. Hopefully the hanger is good as you guys said.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
The rear hanger was more problematic than the front. The upper rear would wallow out the holes in the frame rail and pop up through the trunk. Also the bracket/clamp that holds all the leaves together can rust and snap. I’d give everything a good once over while replacing the springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts