Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 83 024 has a problem with radator fan.

As said it does not enter at warm(hot) engine.

I started then checking and found that fan motor works.

When unplugging cooling sensor it should come on even at cold engine- but it didnt. Fuses are ok.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Probably a bad relay.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so- then i need somebody with good rememberance to tell me where i can find the relay- i have searched throu 3 books today, and i didnt find it on the left side fender wall either..... :frusty:

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Is there a relay? Or is there a fan thermal-switch with a dark blue and black wire connector that is screwed into the radiator tank under the battery?
Understand that this is from my 1978 service manual and might be different than what you have.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes- thats exactly the case-there is a fan thermal switch. I have tried to unplug this sensor -hoping that fan would be forced to run, but nothing happens.

All injection cars i have had-fan will run if you deplug sensors- maybe this is not a fact with an carb engine?

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
By jumping the radiator-mounted thermal switch with a wire, the fan should run. It is in a series circuit with the fan motor. It can handle the current draw of the fan motor.
I know that on fuel injection cars if you unplug the 2-wire coolant temperature sensor that is mounted on the thermostat housing on the cylinder head, the PCM will default to 'fan on' and light the 'ck eng' light.
1983 might be too early for this feature.
It sounds like the radiator thermal switch may have failed open?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did just what you said- and added a rele and a fuse. I have a switch in car for on/off. Problem is solved so far- ill order a new sensor and hope it will work again- thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts