Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radiator was leaking in the area around the bottom hose connection. Fins were soft in several spots, overall the entire core had a bit of a green tinge to it. Already had one repair done shortly after the last recore just about 22 years ago. So I bought the spectra-premium CU961 and it was utter garbage. Numerous things wrong with it including the country of origin... Rockauto tried to tell me I bought the wrong radiator, uh no retard its a POS and doesnt fit because its made wrong. spectra sweared it was all good. A compromise was reached where it was returned and half the shipping was covered. one more part I will never order online again.

Guy @ napa told me about a radiator shop about 45 minutes away. Dropped it off and picking it up this coming thursday. Full recore and restore to the tune of $385.70 :scared: Well atleast I know what I am getting and it comes with a better warrenty than SPI piece of chinese made garbage.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Also made a new oil cooler line.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
It would be nice if locally-refurbished stuff wasn't so expensive, but if the quality is at least good then it's easier to justify.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their repaint isnt the greatest (easy enough to touch up w/rattle can though). But the actual replacement core is exactly like the original being 2 rows and its not leaking any more. The oil cooler lines have been giving me some grief though, finally tracked down the necessary assortment of fittings to make it complete and put together properly.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
That's not too bad, I paid $300 to have two radiators I have recored about fifteen years ago, so with the cost of copper going through the roof and all, it might not be that bad a deal to have the original top, bottom and sides. Hope it takes care of all your problems.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it all installed and filled up this morning. Not super hot today but still a good test and it passed with flying colors. No leaks from the radiator/cooling system, slight leak from two of the oil cooler connections hopefully nothing more than another 1/8 turn on the wrench cant fix. I put the oem solid fan back into service, the clutched fan just doesnt move enough air with the a/c running. Oem fan otoh can pull my shirt and suck it up to the grill at idle speed so its moving some volume. Battery tray/hold down is working and I'll upload some pictures of everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my radiator rebuilt years ago by a local shop. I had them change the core to a four-row type and it keeps the van very cool even in the hottest weather in the Mojave desert in the summer. Still uses the brass tanks and there's no plastic in the construction. This is expensive, but considering how long it will last, it's worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts