Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. It's like this. I recently got a Kenwood sound system (HD radio, CD, Pandora, Bluetooth). It's real nice. I got the wire harness connector to avoid cutting off the original harness connector. Well, what's odd is, the new radio does not turn off when I take the key out. I have to either power off the radio itself, or take out the faceplate (which is the design). I'm sure there is still voltage going in even though the radio is totally off.

I found two wires relate to the positive. One is the solid red and the other is red with a thin black stripe. Using a meter, and with key out, there is voltage present in both wires. There is no voltage in the 12V receptical (key out). That's odd. The original factory radio does switch off after taking the key out. So, does anyone know the exact radio circuitry for power supply? The new radio really works on all four speakers (wired exactly). I just don't understand the ignition switch that won't power off the radio.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Some cars, not sure if yours is new enough, will keep power to the radio after the key is off, for several minutes or until the driver's door is opened. But that would have been present also with the old radio.

I'm guessing that you wired it incorrectly, so that the memory power in the car's harness is going to the radio's ignition terminal.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
That is correct. The radio does have constant battery power. It is turned on and off by a CAN communications bus message to the radio.
This is a problem when installing conventional aftermarket auto sound systems. You will need an interface like this:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/C2R-CHY4.html
It says 2007-up, but the text says 2004-up. There is a separate adapter for adding steering wheel mounted radio controls. It will not retain the uConnect feature (if equipped).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImperialCrown said:
That is correct. The radio does have constant battery power. It is turned on and off by a CAN communications bus message to the radio.
This is a problem when installing conventional aftermarket auto sound systems. You will need an interface like this:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/C2R-CHY4.html
It says 2007-up, but the text says 2004-up. There is a separate adapter for adding steering wheel mounted radio controls. It will not retain the uConnect feature (if equipped).
I see it. But, I don't know if it could be installed. I have a manual transmission. It should not have an effect on just a radio.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
You would just leave the interface-supplied Reverse wire (for automatics) disconnected. It's probably for the navigation and back-up camera (if equipped).
The manual transmission reverse lights are hardwired to the reverse switch (like the old days) and have no connection to the CAN bus.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImperialCrown said:
You would just leave the interface-supplied Reverse wire (for automatics) disconnected. It's probably for the back-up camera (if equipped).
The manual transmission reverse lights are hardwired to the reverse switch (like the old days) and have no connection to the CAN bus.
Well, I guess it's alright then. I have an addiction to the manual trans. I would never give it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts