Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 woody with turbo. Last summer i had the ignition switch replaced and since then my rear defroster doesn't work, my radio doesnt light up except when key is in ACC position with engine off, I have no clock any more, and my acc outlet (the lower one that supposed to work with key on) doesn't work at all. Can someone give me a little help. I also have 103,000 miles on it and will need to do timimg belt and water pump this summer.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Have you checked all fuses?

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There is both an underhood (IPM) and interior (juction block) fuse/relay box. As stated, start with a fuse check.
The ignition switch is actually 5 separate switches in one. It may still have a problem. Are the symptoms the same now as when it was replaced? Was there any mention of wiring damage in the column or instrument panel? It sounds like a branch is out, although none of your mentioned circuits have a direct common feed.
Some PT's had wire harness damage where the harness flexed from the tilt column to the stationary dash. The harness could rub-through or break wires in this area.
The power outlets run off a 16 ga red wire from an 'ign-acc' pole on the ign switch.
The rear defogger runs off a 12 ga Bk/Or wire from a 'run' pole on the ign switch. You will see both these wires in the steering column.
The radio is powered by battery supplies and is turned on and off with the vehicle communication bus.
You may want to separate the steering column trim halves by removing the lower half torx screws and the lower knee panel to inspect the wiring and ignition switch. Look for melted plastic or broken wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImperialCrown said:
Welcome to Allpar. There is both an underhood (IPM) and interior (juction block) fuse/relay box. As stated, start with a fuse check.
The ignition switch is actually 5 separate switches in one. It may still have a problem. Are the symptoms the same now as when it was replaced? Was there any mention of wiring damage in the column or instrument panel? It sounds like a branch is out, although none of your mentioned circuits have a direct common feed.
Some PT's had wire harness damage where the harness flexed from the tilt column to the stationary dash. The harness could rub-through or break wires in this area.
The power outlets run off a 16 ga red wire from an 'ign-acc' pole on the ign switch.
The rear defogger runs off a 12 ga Bk/Or wire from a 'run' pole on the ign switch. You will see both these wires in the steering column.
The radio is powered by battery supplies and is turned on and off with the vehicle communication bus.
You may want to separate the steering column trim halves by removing the lower half torx screws and the lower knee panel to inspect the wiring and ignition switch. Look for melted plastic or broken wires.
Thank you for helping me. I checked interior fuses, all fine. Where is box under hood. And where is fuse for rear defroster located.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
The PDC should be located between the m/cyl and air cleaner. It is the black, plastic box with the lid.
Fuse #8 (40A) is in the PDC. Fuse locations should be given on the inside of the lid or next to the fuse.
Fuse #6 (10A) is in the interior fuse block.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As weird as it may sound, I had a similar problem on the '03. I could drive along with everything fine, then I'd look down and the clock would be out.

I found that if I wiggled the ignition key the clock display would come back on. And so it went for awhile, until wiggling the key no longer made a difference.

I solved the problem with using a replacement key.

Its been fine ever since. Go figure. :huh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Jim, your tip about using a replacement key worked for me too on a 2001 UK model, I just used the spare key which hadn't been used very much.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Add me to the above list of folks with a replacement key "cure" for ignition related electrical problems.

My grand-daughter 12 years old, reached over and shoved in the key further into the ignition one day. That fixed the problem also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts