Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Power , Just static.. same issue using cass and cd function. AM/FM/CD/CASS W/ 3 BAND EQ. speakers say infinity but no logo on head unit..been on e-bay and i cannot tell if seller (by the pics) Knows what it is..Long Distance Junk yards say they have it (infinity) but no pic to confirm, Local pull it yards say if it looks the same , it should work. I need more info ..
Is there a certain Model # i should be looking for? I see P048585540AG some say infinity, others do not
I was not able to locate a thread for troubleshooting this particular unit..
There is mention of an amp fuse, but i do not know it's location to check it, since static is a sound i feel that it might not be a issue and the amp is working.
Odd that it would just quit, when it worked fine. any ideas of what the culprit is?
If you do, could anyone point me in the right direction? For repairing the unit?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
There were 3 amplified systems availible. The midline was Chrysler Audio, but there was Infinity I and Infinity II. The midline and premium radios are on the bus and can store fault codes. Fuse 18 in the junction block (dash) should be a 20 amp. I also suspect that it is OK if you are getting static from the speakers.
There should be an identifying sales code on the radio faceplate. It will be 3 white letters beginning with 'R'. The P048585540AG should be a RAZ. I would think that if it was an Infinity unit that it would say Infinity somewhere on it. Does your owners manual identify it as an Infinity with a picture?

MIDLINE SYSTEM
The Midline System includes:
AM-FM radio with cassette player.
AM-FM stereo radio with CD/cassette.
A compact 120 watt power amplifier with four output channels.
Two 2.5 inch, round single-cone speakers in the lower front corners of the front door windows.
Two 6.5 inch, round single-cone speakers in the front doors.
Two 6 x 9-inch, coaxial speakers mounted in the rear shelf panel.

INFINITY l SYSTEM
The Infinity l System includes:
AM-FM stereo radio with cassette player and 4 disc in-dash CD changer.
AM-FM stereo radio with CD and cassette player.
A 240 watt Infinity power amplifier with six output channels
One 2.5 inch, round single-cone, spatial imaging speaker in the center of the instrument panel.
Two 2.5 inch, coaxial speakers in the lower corners of the front door windows.
Two 6 x 9-inch, single-cone speakers mounted in the rear shelf panel.

INFINITY ll SYSTEM
The Infinity ll System includes:
AM-FM stereo radio with cassette player and 4 disc in-dash CD changer.
A 360 watt power amplifier with nine output channels, one for each speaker location.
One 2.5 inch, round single-cone, spatial imaging speaker in the center of the instrument panel.
Two 2.5 inch, round speakers mounted in the rear doors.

OPERATION
For operation of the factory installed standard and optional radios with cassette or compact disc player, refer to the Sound Systems Operating Instructions in the Owners Manual supplied with the vehicle.
The vehicles are shipped with fuse 13 removed from the junction block. The fuse replaces the ignition-off draw (IOD) connector. Fuse 13 is a ten amp fuse. When removed, it prevents the battery from discharging during storage.

MIDLINE AND INFINITY l SYSTEM
The amplifier is located in the right front cowl panel.

INFINITY ll SYSTEM
The amplifier is located beneath the trunk liner covering the right quarter inner panel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pic of my radio is to the left..if you click on it you will see there is no code on the display..
it is original to the car from the factory..
according to research they were 1998-2001 years, some versions show the chrysler star (logo)above where it says compact disk on the left..
yes it is the Infinity 1 System that has,
AM-FM stereo radio with CD and cassette player. and it has a 3 channel eq bass/mid/treb
A 240 watt Infinity power amplifier with six output channels
the 4 cd player was an option.
there is no raz, which i believe it to be the satellite option..it was offered on the later years according to the articles.I did not care about satellite since i have my mp3 tunes
I was hoping to find, where to go to troubleshoot the head unit when there is no sound, but everything else seems to work meaning lights and static,cd plays,cass plays but no sound from any of them.
I have a monster cassette adapter to play my mp3 through it, using my phone that has the standard 3.5mm jack.
I just wish i could see 1 or 2 pics of "just resolder this area and it will be fine"

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Using this link to the radio connector pinout: http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf
See if you have audio from the head unit to begin with by connecting a test speaker to any of the 4 audio outputs.
If the radio puts out fine, it could be an amplifier problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no sound from the head unit, used house surround speaker to test..

interesting, however the pdf shows wiring only for 4 speakers..if i pull out the connector, i will lose power to the amp at "g"? ..correct me if i am wrong but the car has 7 speakers would at least 1 of them put out some sound? even if the tweeters functioned?Two 2.5 inch, coaxial speakers in the lower corners of the front door windows. I have never seen "amped tweeters" maybe my math/ or idea of these being tweeters is wrong, 6 channells should go to 6 speakers? I have 7. is there a schematic diagram for this system i could reference, to see how it is wired to get a better idea.
I can see 5 of them going through the amp, 1 in dash,2 in doors, 2 on the rear shelf, maybe 1 goes to the tweeters?(Two 2.5 inch, coaxial speakers) but that would mis-balance the system,no?..maybe i am overthinking how this particular amp works..
I never took any speakers out , still learning as i go..

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
There are only four speaker outputs from any Chrysler deck of this vintage, thus only four sets of wires in the PDF. The amp takes the speaker level output from the deck and handles all the crossover functions and amplification.

If you can hear static, the amp is ok. Your problem is most likely in the head unit. You can replace it with any Chrysler head unit that will slide into the dash and plug in... it probably uses the old style black and gray connectors, but there are adapter harnesses out there that will allow the newer ones to plug in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was really hoping, after seeing all the other technical info,w/ pictures, that someone repaired one and could report on how to fix it. i think it would make a great article add-on..

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
The only deck I've had of that vintage to write up an article on is the four disc in dash changer... I don't have any round face CD/cassette combo decks predating the RAZ with the newer connectors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a perfect "Donor" in mind and i will pay to ship it.."to" and "especially from" if successful..!

I feel that all radios, regardless of "vintage"(lol) may experience this issue..I think it would be a great article to write at least where to look first..and find the Issue and how to deal with it..I am finding recons on ebay going for (starting)$129.00+, One wanted $215.00 Used for the type i am looking for..(wow!), i think it would be worth while to do it..To trouble shoot a "dead" radio any way would do no harm and stay in the spirit of the website..
Maybe it is possibe to bribe a rebuilder on your end, he gets some advertising(input), you guys get advertising and we get some info? Networking is a good thing, last time i heard..Worst that could happen is the site possibly gets a new technical writer(member) to address these issues..I think it is a win-win..

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I couldn't promise anything on a repair - Chrysler keeps head unit schematics more tightly guarded than Fort Knox. It's often easier to just replace the deck than try to fix it.

Those four disc changers should plug and play though, as long as they fit in the dash. They're rather long. I have two of them, both working though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the radio/w tape and CD 1998-2001 does not have the connector for it..only head units with the tape only have the input connector to go to the 4 cd add on..
I do have the room underneath but it is a handy storage area for misc. stuff.

UPDATE: my radio does show RAZ but it is on the lower right side above the hour/minute buttons..but the 2002 and up versions have additional buttons to activate/use the feature.. i do not use satellite radio anyway..and the 2002 versions show a built in amp also,according to the pics, i have a feeling mine has it also it is pretty thick solid heatsink on that end where the ground wire goes..

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I'm talking about this deck: http://www.allpar.com/stereo/Mitsubish-CD-changer/index.html

The changer's in the head unit itself. They're a bit finicky when it comes to shipping though, and really long. May not fit in the dash. Illumination is orange, too.

Yeah, the RAZ sales code actually spans more than one model... that's not unusual for Mopar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my delima is, no way to play my mp3's..through it..do not feel like traveling with a suitcase of cd's..lol.
I just hit shuffle feature and i am my own radio station..

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
That would be why my Imperial doesn't have a factory head unit - you just can't beat a flash drive full of MP3's when it comes to driving music.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finally found the issue, and it was amplifier/radio related. Caused by a Battery Charger of at least 80amp on the start selector..

It seems that if you use a battery charger on the start function (high amperage) and the battery is not able to start the car. you have to disconnect the fuse to the radio amp feed.
Apparently the amp is grounded to the body, the resulting surge (high amp start) blows it out..due to the close proximity of the jump terminals..
I did not use the car for awhile, so the battery ran low, not causing it to start,guessing from the car alarm.. my father decided to borrow it and used my commercial heavy duty charger, Apparently he did not want to wait for the regular 40 amp one to charge it fully.
It now made sense, what a dodge audio tech mentioned once, about to unplug the radio feed if jumpstarting... After asking the "old man" if he borrowed the car, he said yes and he was in a rush to go somewhere so he used the large charger i had..

Isn't family great?

after removing 12 right side kick panes of dodge intrepids (most of the radios, i needed, were gone) and 300m's( yes, i found out some are in the trunk) of different years.
I lucked out in the form of a 2000 Chrysler LHS that just happened to arrive receintly in the u pull it scrap yard ,
got the amp for $20 and the same type of radio for $50..
I did change the face plate to the dodge one..
I was also able to pick up 2 alarm key fobs, almost new condition for $5 bucks each It kind of paid off searching through
all of the cars..
I was tempted to get the dash gauges from the Chrysler LHS but i did not have the correct tools to remove it, you have to bring out your own they do not lend any out..

new issue? now the front speakers are popping,unless the bass is turned down, any one know of compatable replacements using the factory setup? or does the search begin again?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally found the issue, and it was amplifier/radio related. Caused by a Battery Charger of at least 80amp on the start selector..

It seems that if you use a battery charger on the start function (high amperage) and the battery is not able to start the car. you have to disconnect the fuse to the radio amp feed.
Apparently the amp is grounded to the body, the resulting surge (high amp start) blows it out..due to the close proximity of the jump terminals..
I did not use the car for awhile, so the battery ran low, not causing it to start,guessing from the car alarm.. my father decided to borrow it and used my commercial heavy duty charger, Apparently he did not want to wait for the regular 40 amp one to charge it fully.
It now made sense, what a dodge audio tech mentioned once, about to unplug the radio feed if jumpstarting... After asking the "old man" if he borrowed the car, he said yes and he was in a rush to go somewhere so he used the large charger i had..

Isn't family great?

after removing 12 right side kick panes of dodge intrepids (most of the radios, i needed, were gone) and 300m's( yes, i found out some are in the trunk) of different years.
I lucked out in the form of a 2000 Chrysler LHS that just happened to arrive receintly in the u pull it scrap yard ,
got the amp for $20 and the same type of radio for $50..
I did change the face plate to the dodge one..
I was also able to pick up 2 alarm key fobs, almost new condition for $5 bucks each It kind of paid off searching through
all of the cars..
I was tempted to get the dash gauges from the Chrysler LHS but i did not have the correct tools to remove it, you have to bring out your own they do not lend any out..

new issue? now the front speakers are popping,unless the bass is turned down, any one know of compatable replacements using the factory setup? or does the search begin again?
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, i call it a JOB!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts