Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had to have the battery replaced today in my sebring. i took it to walmart and had it done. on the way home, i noticed that the display on the radio keeps going off for a split second. when it comes back on, the time is reset to 12:00 and the radio is set to the AM band. when the car is shut off, the clock keeps perfect time. does anybody know what is going on with the radio and how i can fix it? would a mistake replacing the battery have caused this. i had the charging system checked by another place and was told that the alternator is working ok. is there anything connected to the battery that could cause this?

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
The radio relies on a good ground and good battery power connection to retain clock and station memory. There seems to be a poor/intermittant connection somewhere in this circuit. Check for loose connections and IOD fuses.
If it is a battery connection issue, do you notice lights flickering or any other symptoms? You might want to return to Walmart and have them re-check their work if this started after their service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone know how to reprogram the radio in my 2001 Chrysler Sebring ? i was told by a reputable mechanic that when walmart replaced the battery, the radio ram did not keep it's programming. would i be able to do this myself, or do i have to take it to a dealer?

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Setting the clock and station presets should be all that is needed. It is covered in the owners manual. Has the radio stopped cutting out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the radio is still acting the same. the battery was really dead, it would not even turn over the engine until i put a charger on it for about an hour. that is why this mechanic told me that the radio ram could have been cleared out. what really puzzles me is that when the car is shut off, the clock keeps time . it is when the car is running that it starts acting strange. it sure has me puzzled !

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Is it over-charging when the engine speed goes above idle? The radio may have taken a voltage spike during a jump and has been damaged.
There is no RAM flash or software reload at the dealer for this radio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now that the radio is possibly damaged...does anyone have explicit instructions on installing an aftermarket radio?

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
There are wiring and installation kits available for aftermarket, but you might be better off with a good used Chrysler unit that would be 'plug n' play'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For a good aftermarket radio, go to crutchfield.com. the better radios are the kenwoods and for a little more than a $100 you get the radio, the mounting kit and the wiring harness to connect the radio to the car connections. Best place to buy and most Kenwood radios have I-pod controls. there are cheaper radios too, but they all come with the kits and wires, except some bought at the outlet.

Real easy to install. it is what I am getting for my 2001 stratus. Just fill in the info for what car, pick the radio and they put the right kit together.

kevinn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts