Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for upgrading the radio (head unit) in my 2005 Grand Caravan... I have been spoiled with the RBZ in the Journey.

The things I am looking for are:

1) Outputs to the factory video screen... prefer inputs from the factory DVD as well.
2) Bluetooth phone
3) iPhone4/iPod touch input

Not looking to spend a lot of money.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lots of views, but no suggestions?

Will an RBZ fit?

It has been decades since I knew anything about radio wiring.... what do I need to know to be an informed customer?

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
Lots of views, but no suggestions?

Will an RBZ fit?

It has been decades since I knew anything about radio wiring.... what do I need to know to be an informed customer?
I've seen a MyGIG installed in a 4th gen minivan, but I never got any details as to how it was done.

Trying to keep factory equipment useful when installing aftermarket items can be a challenge at times.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The communications bus systems are different between the 2 vehicles. I believe that there are adapters to put CAN bus entertainment systems into older PCI bus vehicles. Or find a premium PCI bus entertainment system.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I'd go aftermarket. Installing a CANBUS factory deck into an older vehicle would require an emulator, as those decks won't turn on unless there's a CANBUS signal present. This would likely get expensive. Then, you'd have to modify the bezel.

Otherwise, you could try to find an REV (unless you already have one)... to my knowledge, this is the only factory deck for the 4th generation van with a DVD player built into the unit. You'd still have to depend on outboard uConnect modules to get bluetooth, and there would be no USB or iPod support IIRC, but those decks do have auxiliary inputs right on the front.

The aftermarket, on the other hand, has options that already do just about everything you want short of interfacing with factory DVD players and screens.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The thing that stinks about 98-07ish Chrysler vehicles with the rounded radios is they are considered 1.5DIN and you can't convert them to 2-din easily... If that we're the case I'd have a Pioneer App Radio2 in my Sebring... So your best bet is to shop around with things such as FM modulator, iPod integration and Bluetooth adapters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and am an owner of an 01 Grand Caravan. It has become my travel vehicle. My questions is any of the newer OEM radios compatible with the 01 Caravan wiring harness and size of unit. Specifically wondering if Satellite radio, and ipod/bluetooth would be available. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Anything up to 2007 in the round face units should work, though you may need harness adapters if your 2001 still has the old style black and gray connectors and the old Motorola antenna plug.

Sat radio and uConnect will each require outboard modules, but may be possible. Ipod will be limited to the use of auxiliary inputs only on head units like the REV (though you can get adapters for some of the others to enable an aux input)... bluetooth will only be supported by adding the uConnect stuff, and I don't believe even the 2007 gear supports Bluetooth streaming audio.

I would suggest going aftermarket if you absolutely need Bluetooth and iPod support. Factory audio systems have always been behind the times when it comes to this kind of thing.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks A.J.

I had a look at their site. Nice search features.

I guess what it boils down to for me is how much do I want to put into a van with 302 000 km on it. The longer I wait, the less likely I will spend any money on it... since I first started thinking about it a month ago, and have yet to actually visit a local shop, I am thinking that it will have to be on my "thinks to look for in a replacement car" list.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts