Allpar Forums banner

radio

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  B10alia 
#1 ·
I have a 1985 reliant se 2.2l with efi, I think the radio quit working, kept cutting on and off now quit working at all, display dosent light up. does it run off the battery or altenator? could it be a voltage issue or did the radios go bad?

#2 ·
Has both battery (for memory) and ignition/accessory power. Both must be there. Ground must be good as well. If everything looks good there, it may be internal.

#3 ·
Chrysler had some electronics suppliers (Mitsubishi in particular, I believe, but I'm not sure if they used them in '85) that manufactured products with "cold" solder joints in them, meaning the solder wasn't heated enough when the unit was manufactured, leading to flaky reliability down the road. IIRC, it's not all that uncommon in Huntsville decks, either. Fortunately, one of our members has made up some excellent tear down and repair guides for many common stereos, so if it comes to that, you can have some idea of what you're doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.