Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Don't think I've seen anybody ask for 1000hp.

I'm merely asking for a spirited driver oriented 300-350 and they can't/won't do that. So i just laugh at the rich bois measuring peens while i slowly build my 440 cruiser.
Charger/Challenger GT is 300. Comfortable spirited driver-oriented car.
R/T base is 350.

Don't know what more you're asking for? Unless you're just window-shopping and not going to buy something already available

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Don't think I've seen anybody ask for 1000hp.

I'm merely asking for a spirited driver oriented 300-350 and they can't/won't do that. So i just laugh at the rich bois measuring peens while i slowly build my 440 cruiser.
The future at that power level is PSA EMP2 hybrids with electric AWD and a turbo 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
R/T base is 350.

Don't know what more you're asking for? Unless you're just window-shopping and not going to buy something already available
I want far better fuel economy at that power level. The future at that power level is PSA EMP2 hybrids with electric AWD and a turbo 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That adds cost. Yes, I agree it is the future at those levels, if not full electric. But if you want those power levels and more economy currently, you will need to pay more almost everywhere.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Agreed cars that are north of $60,000 may as well be Lamborghinis to the average car buyer. I really don't think it will help sell anymore V6 or 5.7L Chargers or Challengers either, which is what the average buyer can afford. It might make nice YouTube videos but 1000 HP cars won't save Dodge from the automotive grave yard by the end of the decade. These expensive cars are a niche product. If they were serious about these car's future we would see new sheet metal coming, less weight and serious turbo 4 and hybrid options at prices under $40,000.
Agree but America still drives win on the weekend = sell on Monday, It's all about the advertising and apparently 1000HP wins the battle.

·
Registered
349 Posts
R/T base is 350.

Not interested in a 4000+ lb 2 door automatic v6

We must have different ideas on driver oriented.

You're somewhat right. There's not much out there that checks my boxes without forcing me to pay for a lot more check marks I don't want.

The future at that power level is PSA EMP2 hybrids with electric AWD and a turbo 4 cylinder.
The future for my money is into my 440 and all the rest can go into other hobbies.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not interested in a 4000+ lb 2 door automatic v6

We must have different ideas on driver oriented.

The future for my money is into my 440 and all the rest can go into other hobbies.
That 4000+lb car would probably out-handle your 440 any day of the week.
And out-brake it, and maybe out-accelerate it as well.
So it begs, what are you looking for? It sounds like you want something that most of the market does not, so you can build it yourself as you're doing, or buy it built that way, but don't expect manufacturers to cater to 0.1% of the market.

Otherwise, Caterham, or KTM, or Lotus, or similar makers do offer that type of experience, but they tend to start around $60k for that level of purity.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That 4000+lb car would probably out-handle your 440 any day of the week.
And out-brake it, and maybe out-accelerate it as well.
So it begs, what are you looking for? It sounds like you want something that most of the market does not, so you can build it yourself as you're doing, or buy it built that way, but don't expect manufacturers to cater to 0.1% of the market.

Otherwise, Caterham, or KTM, or Lotus, or similar makers do offer that type of experience, but they tend to start around $60k for that level of purity.
Are you really going to compare a $250 440 in a $1500 C body vs a $50,000 new car?

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,950 Posts
It’s “ego stroking” for you guys that are too broke to partake in my experience. And yes, I drive a 2019 B5 RedBody. Sans ego.
Not everyone who can afford something like that thinks it's reasonable or prudent to spend the money on it. Dodge used to offer something for the more fiscally conservative buyer, too. My uncle died a millionaire and had owned all sorts of Mopars over the years. The last one he bought was a '07 Caliber. He could've written a check for the Viper parked next to it just as easily, but he wanted a small car that could carry around his golf clubs.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Are you really going to compare a $250 440 in a $1500 C body vs a $50,000 new car?
You are, so why can't I?

Like I said, you can build it - which you are, and I can appreciate that as a car guy. I'm looking to do my own type of project as well, and for under $4000 I want a 12s car. But I don't think you would be happy with most, if any newer cars based on your posting. I can appreciate them all.

Reactions: AmbassadorSST

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For a Charger/Challenger ? Are you sure about that ?
I don't think the V6 models need to live. The V8 cars will become more expensive when they switch to Giorgio Global. They will be halos with dwindling sales on top of a FWD/AWD Dodge lineup. The V8 only survives in cars as a niche for those who have to have one.

As I said before, with hybrids you could have a 1000 hp car that has a transverse turbo 4. The V8 just survives for traditionalists who have to have the rumble noise. The NA V6 doesn't have to survive at all.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I don't think the V6 models need to live. The V8 cars will become more expensive when they switch to Giorgio Global. They will be halos with dwindling sales on top of a FWD/AWD Dodge lineup. The V8 only survives in cars as a niche for those who have to have one.

As I said before, with hybrids you could have a 1000 hp car that has a transverse turbo 4. The V8 just survives for traditionalists who have to have the rumble noise. The NA V6 doesn't have to survive at all.
Yes...But where's the romance?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
All of you SERIOUSLY need to drive an electric car. Doesn't even have to be a Tesla or a Taycan. Even a Leaf or a Bolt. If you think a V8 is torquey or fun off the line, sorry, your world view will fall apart.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You are, so why can't I?

Like I said, you can build it - which you are, and I can appreciate that as a car guy. I'm looking to do my own type of project as well, and for under $4000 I want a 12s car. But I don't think you would be happy with most, if any newer cars based on your posting. I can appreciate them all.
No, I never made that comparison. I stated a lack of interest in the market so I'll save all my money instead and have a cruiser.

Then you tried to defend a $50,000 purchase vs tinkering with $1750. For $50,000, it better do a little more than as you said, might out accelerate a 440. Can't believe that was even a talking point.

You also tried to claim 4000lbs plus, inadequate brakes, soft suspension and automatic only is a "spirited driver oriented" build.

We clearly are on different planets on what that is.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
379 Posts
You also tried to claim 4000lbs plus, inadequate brakes, soft suspension and automatic only is a "spirited driver oriented" build.
  1. Weight is subjective if you can control it (and compared to lots of trucks and SUV's that weigh the same or more, the Challenger is hefty but pretty capable).
  2. Promaster. Hills. Quick Stops. The Challenger has better brakes.
  3. I'm 24 and if the suspension is gonna make me feel an out-of-place atom on a smooth road surface, that sucker better be a track car otherwise there's no need for stiff/uncomfortable suspension.
I'm not even gonna get into the automatic only. People have screwy sense of what a car guy and a "driver oriented" vehicle is: and it definitely isn't because of a transmission.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No, silly!...The V8!
I already addressed that in my post.

"The V8 cars will become more expensive when they switch to Giorgio Global. They will be halos with dwindling sales on top of a FWD/AWD Dodge lineup. The V8 only survives in cars as a niche for those who have to have one.

As I said before, with hybrids you could have a 1000 hp car that has a transverse turbo 4. The V8 just survives for traditionalists who have to have the rumble noise."

If you want to pay for your old flame, you should be able to. But it won't be necessary for Chrysler and Dodge performance cars in the near future.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
379 Posts
with hybrids you could have a 1000 hp car that has a transverse turbo 4
That's called 700hp of electric motors and a 300hp generator à la Volt.
At that point, I'd bet it'd be cheaper (and, surprisingly, lighter) to just have a pure EV for that power. Although the nice stop-gap before an all-out EV performance car is something with around 200hp from an electric motor tied to a 800hp supercharged V8.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts