Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

To be clear, this isn't a real US-market Ram and as far as we know, there isn't anything like this in the works for stateside buyers. That said, we know we aren't the only ones scratching our heads as to why that is. The pickup truck market is evolving in the US, and Ram is on the cusp of being left behind as smaller offerings enter the scene.

Full article here:

Ram 1000 Rebel Unofficial Rendering Depicts A Maverick Competitor (motor1.com)

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be fair, the actual compact truck market has been long dead in the US, with the last truly compact offering being the old Ford Ranger of 2012 (which was pretty much the same truck as the initial 1984 truck with running upgrades and the occasional reskin to keep it sellable, but I digress). The Maverick and Santa Cruz are entering a market that has had 0 real entries for a decade, and the entries it had being grossly outdated old designs, and was not setting the world on fire back then. Hard to make a case for a Maverick competitor when no one knows if the Maverick will sell.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be fair, the actual compact truck market has been long dead in the US, with the last truly compact offering being the old Ford Ranger of 2012 (which was pretty much the same truck as the initial 1984 truck with running upgrades and the occasional reskin to keep it sellable, but I digress). The Maverick and Santa Cruz are entering a market that has had 0 real entries for a decade, and the entries it had being grossly outdated old designs, and was not setting the world on fire back then. Hard to make a case for a Maverick competitor when no one knows if the Maverick will sell.
Well, Hyundai and Ford are not investing for vanity. Given the success of mid-size pickups, they see a clear need for compact pickups.

FCA could have been the leader of this market segment. Instead, they will be another "me-too" if they even decide to compete.....which will be after the initial surge is over and the market is saturated.

At least Iacocca knew to lead.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Well, Hyundai and Ford are not investing for vanity. Given the success of mid-size pickups, they see a clear need for compact pickups.

FCA could have been the leader of this market segment. Instead, they will be another "me-too" if they even decide to compete.....which will be after the initial surge is over and the market is saturated.

At least Iacocca knew to lead.
Yes there hasn't been a real compact in a long time. You are also missing the second half of the 2012 argument. The Santa Cruz and Toro are the same size as most midsize pickups sold in 2012. They aren't bringing back a real compact. They are labeling a small midsize as compact for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yes there hasn't been a real compact in a long time. You are also missing the second half of the 2012 argument. The Santa Cruz and Toro are the same size as most midsize pickups sold in 2012. They aren't bringing back a real compact. They are labeling a small midsize as compact for marketing purposes.
Here we go again...

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I test drove a Ford Ranger last week. I wasn't really interested in the Ranger but local Chevy and GMC dealers don't have any Colorado's or Canyon's.
I drove it home to test fit it in my garage. I have a small work bench on my side of the garage. The Ranger just fit in the garage. I would have to step out into the driveway (weather) to get around the back of it. And the Ranger is slightly shorter than the Colorado/Canyon. Tacoma is just as long as the Colorado. New Frontier is probably just as long. the outgoing Frontier is around 206" long so I could probably squeeze around the back of it. The Gladiator will never fit at 218".
Just for reference the 94 Eagle Vision we had was 201".
The Santa Cruz and Maverick are the type of vehicle I will be have to look at if I choose to purchase something with a bed. A mini bed is perfect for me. But I prefer RWD over FWD based drive train. Being able to garage the vehicle at night is a must. I wish Ram had something at 206" or under. I'm not really a Ford fan and there isn't a local Hyundai dealer which to me means no sale. Drive 30 miles for warranty service? Nope.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
183 Posts
As lifestyle activity vehicles increase in popularity the Ram 1000 makes more sense. Focus it on first time homeowners and youth buyers. There is no need for a limited motel, just Big Horn, Rebel and Laramie Build it in Toluca on the line with the Compass. I think we have all been saying this since this generation of Toro came out. Management really needs to listen to us. ;)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The us 1500 has grown to be big and mature truck, nothing wrong with that for the ones and problay few really who needs it.
- they are also almost unsellable outside us since most poeple doesnt need em.
The 1000 on the other hand could go up against the much larger market of smaller trucks sold in the rest of the world and why shouldnt it find us buyers?
- its a lifestyle truck and at the same time a truck for those who doesent need a 1500 almost semi truck.
It can be sold as a Dodge, Fiat, Opel, Chrysler etc heck even a Citroen truck would be doable.
- A good unibody chassi coupled with a couple of good (e-)drivelines and some badge engineering.

Reactions: tlc and David S

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The us 1500 has grown to be big and mature truck, nothing wrong with that for the ones and problay few really who needs it.
- they are also almost unsellable outside us since most poeple doesnt need em.
The 1000 on the other hand could go up against the much larger market of smaller trucks sold in the rest of the world and why shouldnt it find us buyers?
- its a lifestyle truck and at the same time a truck for those who doesent need a 1500 almost semi truck.
It can be sold as a Dodge, Fiat, Opel, Chrysler etc heck even a Citroen truck would be doable.
- A good unibody chassi coupled with a couple of good (e-)drivelines and some badge engineering.
The chicken tax. It has to be made in Mexico to be sold here. That and another 7 airbags and 200 lb of high strength steel should do the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts