Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which trans was the auto with the v6 in 2002? My daughter has one and I am wondering if it is related to teh A500 or newer style

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
That should be the old conventional 42RE with the 3.9L or the 42RLE with the 3.7L.
The 42RLE was related to the LH transaxle which was based on the 41TE.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously? It is a 3.7, but the trans is related to a FWD trans? 41TE was an improved A604, right? and this one is basically one of those put for RWD? Wow. Were they good trannies for transportation?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The '2' in the 42RLE was a bump up in torque capacity. It was closer to the LH transaxle (42LE) which was a step higher in torque rating than the 41TE.
The 'R' designated it as RWD.
It was a fairly good transmission and could handle the torque of the 3.7L. The guts were mostly the same as the transverse/longitudinal transaxles, but put into a RWD/4WD housing.
It cut the development time on a rear-drive fully electronic transmission and saved the company lots of money.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
They did OK. I did see some solenoid bracket screws rip out of the aluminum valve body a couple of times and you do want to use nothing but ATF+4 in these transmissions. Periodic filter and fluid maintenance is a good service. The TCM may have had a software update. Clutch and seal-wise, they were durable.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I changed the fluid with ATF+4 synthetic as per the manual. I know it drives a lot nicer than the 95 Ram (electric version of the A500) that we have. Thanks for the info. Puts my mind at ease. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts