Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I have a Ram 1500 2013 hemi 5.7 Two weeks ago it started to make some noise under the engine, went to the dealer, and today i got this message from them.

Good afternoon,

I just finished talking with my technician and diagnosing your vehicle.

We have found that the vehicle has a flat camshaft and has sent metal throughout your engine.

The lower end of the engine on your vehicle is making excessive noise and the camshaft replacement would not take care of the lower end noise due to metal debris throughout the engine.

We need to replace the engine with a long block.

Your total cost of repairs is going to be around $11000.00.

I Think this is ridiculous for the car what had oil change every 5000 miles,maintenance on time, odometer is 100057 miles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yuk! Sad to hear. It's not common especially considering the millions of 5.7 Hemi's out there now but it does happen. Apparently the roller bearing on some of the lifters can go bad. My opinion, is to take it to a small shop and get a quote on putting a used low milage replacement engine in it. Prob could go that route and get a engine warranty and spend about 1/2 what the dealer quoted for the new engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did call some shops,they are asking btw 6-8k to replace an old engine, but dealer will replace it with a new one , so i think 4k extra worth for a new engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just passed 57 miles with no warranty i this shtit happend, have a feeling like it was built fo 100k miles only)

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,971 Posts
In the old days, the dealers would sometimes "bend" the warranty rules to get the replacement coverage. 57 miles is hardly worth talking about.

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
You might get some "goodwill" assistance from the dealer or Chrysler if you are polite about it. Arguing or making statements like it was designed to blow up just over 100k aren't going to help. Present proof of routine maintenance and ask for assistance.

There are exceptions, but the Hemi's I've had ran like new at well over 100k miles. My 2007 Magnum was solid as new engine wise at 155k when I sold it.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,971 Posts
Sometimes the goodwill assistance is Chrysler covering the cost of the part and the customer paying for the labor (or vice versa). It certainly doesn't hurt to inquire politely. You may have to escalate to the regional manager.

It's rare for a Hemi to fail. It's not like they are all failing. Yes, the very early ones had some valve train issues, but overall the modern 5.7L Hemi has been a very reliable engine.

I've got 252K miles on the Hemi in my '06 Ram 1500 SLT and no engine issues to date except a faulty EGR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts