Allpar Forums banner

641 - 660 of 3300 Posts

·
The "Front-Line" Perspective
3,245 Posts
Aerodynamics have given us pickup beds too tall to use, SUVs and CUVs with compromised cargo room due to droopy roof, and sedans with worthless back seats. The entire industry needs to do some serious usability study, even if they lose 0.5 MPGs in the design.
I'd say 60% of the clients that purchase a truck from us put a tonneau on it, negating the aero issues as well as any access from the side of the bed.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I'd say 60% of the clients that purchase a truck from us put a tonneau on it, negating the aero issues as well as any access from the side of the bed.
Tonneau covers don't actually help mpg on newer trucks nearly (or at all) as much as on older trucks. I would say this gen for all new trucks teh covers would see zero increase in mpg

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, single cab trucks are made in Saltillo alongside the HD’s. Could see it being a late arrival. Get all the high margin trucks moving first and keeping fleets happy with the existing platform.
You're not mistaken. Remember the HD trucks are not being updated for a few years so the plant where the regular cab trucks are made is not being upgraded to make the DT regular cab. They are also going to be making the 2018 trucks for a few months along with 2019 production.

I'm sure they're going to want to maximize profits off the first few months of DT production with higher priced crew and quad models.

Incentives will probably be focused on DS models as well so the DT can scoop up the early adopters for 4-5 months and taking all of their money in the process!

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
Tonneau covers don't actually help mpg on newer trucks nearly (or at all) as much as on older trucks. I would say this gen for all new trucks teh covers would see zero increase in mpg
From the Ram press release:
A segment-exclusive lockable tri-fold tonneau cover serves a dual purpose by improving fuel economy by 0.8 percent and adding security and weather protection for bed storage.

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
Somewhere I watched or read said the tonneau cover would increase MPG by 0.8%.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
A segment-exclusive lockable tri-fold tonneau cover serves a dual purpose by improving fuel economy by 0.8 percent and adding security and weather protection for bed storage.
Here's is a quote from what i said "newer trucks nearly (or at all) as much as on older trucks." I will also say .8% is nothing at all, corss wind alone could be bad enough to negate any type percent. I'm guessing the higher bed side helps more then the cover

·
Super Moderator
6,894 Posts
Here's is a quote from what i said "newer trucks nearly (or at all) as much as on older trucks." I will also say .8% is nothing at all, corss wind alone could be bad enough to negate any type percent. I'm guessing the higher bed side helps more then the cover
And I agree with that. It barely helps.

Reactions: somber

·
3,245 Posts
Understood.

·
3,245 Posts
More importantly, they keep people from throwing their junk in your truck bed.
o_O
Tim Horton's cups. Almost every one of my truck parked next to the sidewalk has a Timmies thrown into it.

·
Ram enthusiast
400 Posts
Right, but I mean to say, I think you have to have a full center console for the 12.1 UConnect option... for that exact model he was talking about.
CP4I7187.jpg

Laramie with bench and 12.1 inch UConnect. As you said though, not available in the exact model that was being talked about as the Sport Package deletes the bench and adds buckets in the ordering guide Mike V posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks, that's not insignificant. That would be around 1.5 mpg increase on a 20 mpg combined. Figure a decent quality Tonneau cover is $250 on Amazon. So pays for itself after only 10-12k miles.
View attachment 13084

Laramie with bench and 12.1 inch UConnect. As you said though, not available in the exact model that was being talked about as the Sport Package deletes the bench and adds buckets in the ordering guide Mike V posted.
Man, all that leg/knee room sure looks appealing. Never thought I would even consider a bench seat, but I could really hammer out some miles with all that room too spread out.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Thanks, that's not insignificant. That would be around 1.5 mpg increase on a 20 mpg combined. Figure a decent quality Tonneau cover is $250 on Amazon. So pays for itself after only 10-12k miles.

Man, all that leg/knee room sure looks appealing. Never thought I would even consider a bench seat, but I could really hammer out some miles with all that room too spread out.

I believe your math is wrong. It is .08%, not 8%

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Sorry, but it will mostly impact just highway mileage and you've shifted a decimal place the impact would be around 0.2 mpg.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
He's correct about all that extra knee room with a bench seat though!:)

641 - 660 of 3300 Posts