36,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
wait a sec...i thought CR had a vendetta against chrysler???? :dunno:

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
You know, we had this article posted at 6 am. Perhaps checking Allpar before linking to huge corporations with the same news would be nice.

Just saying’.

The CR release was oh-so-tempered in a way that their reviews of Fords and Toyotas are not... "This old model beat it, and we'll review the new Chevy soon, and..."

First the compliments, then the takebacks. That's the CR we all know!

And I'd like to know how they could not rate the 1996 Ram above competitors? Oh, I know -- they didn't rate pickups until they knew the Ram wouldn't win! But that's in the past. You'll notice a new head of auto testing. It might be the start of a new era.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Isn't this one of the signs of the end of times?!?!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Roy Thigpen said:
They have yet to test the Silverado and Sierra, and technically the Avalanch had a higher score, but it's out of production.
I wasn't aware of a 2013 Avalance? The Silverado is a 2014 and will be tested with the 2014 trucks...where it will go against an even better Dodge ;)

These guys love Toyota, so the big news here is beating Toyota by 10 points and beating Ford by even more.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
I find Consumer Reports to be a highly credible source on automobiles. Their analysis and ratings system are above reproach.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I don't know if CR has a vendetta against Mopar, but treating a car like you would a toaster or blender never did strike me as correct. The reason that Toyota is a CR favorite is they treat cars like an appliance. The things that make a great car often have nothing to do with it as a appliance.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
John Rogers said:
I find Consumer Reports to be a highly credible source on automobiles. Their analysis and ratings system are above reproach.
:lol:

Mike

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
John Rogers said:
thanks for the giggle this morning

·
Administrator
35,285 Posts
One primary problem is that their method, self-admitted, is to choose a car, declare it the master template, then judge every other car by how close it is to the master.

That means that if the Camry is their master, then your Corvette and Ram and Wrangler are chosen not by how well they fit their niches, but how close they come to a Camry.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
dak4x4 said:
I want whatever you put in your coffee....
Coffee-Mate, Cinnamon Sarcasm flavor.

For more than a few years we have discussed the sham that is CR and their scientific methods. If I didn’t know better this glowing review from CR would have me wondering “what is wrong with the Ram”?

·
Registered
324 Posts
John Rogers said:
You're kidding. Read carefully and you'll see that they often slant the language of their reviews. My favorite came years ago in a review the brand of which I can't remember. It was something along the lines of "the trunk latch menaces the heads of users."

The translation of that into real person speak would be, "You could bump your head on the trunk latch if you aren't careful."

But they had to use "menaces" instead, not at all an objective characterization. They've got a vested interest in making their readers think that they live in a dangerous world that CR is protecting them from. This leads me to take all their reports with a grain of salt.

BTW, I have considered subscribing just so I could report the exemplary reliability of my Chrysler Corporation vehicles in their annual auto survey. What they have reported and what I have seen is sometimes worlds different.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
fsvoboda said:
You're kidding. Read carefully and you'll see that they often slant the language of their reviews. My favorite came years ago in a review the brand of which I can't remember. It was something along the lines of "the trunk latch menaces the heads of users."

The translation of that into real person speak would be, "You could bump your head on the trunk latch if you aren't careful."

But they had to use "menaces" instead, not at all an objective characterization. They've got a vested interest in making their readers think that they live in a dangerous world that CR is protecting them from. This leads me to take all their reports with a grain of salt.

BTW, I have considered subscribing just so I could report the exemplary reliability of my Chrysler Corporation vehicles in their annual auto survey. What they have reported and what I have seen is sometimes worlds different.
Yes, yes he is (kidding that is)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
1 - 20 of 75 Posts