Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a ending date or will they become Ram Zombies?

With Sterling Heights full of DT's they could use help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ram Zombies will be the Classics that just got forgotten by upper management.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ram Zombies will be the Classics that just got forgotten by upper management.

With the shortage of vehicles industry-wide, I’d bet Ram is smart to continue the Classic models as-is. There is a demand for them and they seem to be a well-liked truck.

My son has a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman Crewcab 4x4 and he really likes the vehicle - and has said he will only buy another Ram when it is time.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
778 Posts
With the shortage of vehicles industry-wide, I’d bet Ram is smart to continue the Classic models as-is. There is a demand for them and they seem to be a well-liked truck.

My son has a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman Crewcab 4x4 and he really likes the vehicle - and has said he will only buy another Ram when it is time.
I thought about buying the Ram Classic before, nice looking trucks.

·
Super Moderator
32,911 Posts
I read your comment quickly and missed the comma at first, which changes the entire meaning... :)
If a Dakota mid-size doesn't appear in about 2 years, I'll be resigned to the larger 1500 Classic to replace my 92 Dakota.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I read your comment quickly and missed the comma at first, which changes the entire meaning... :)
If a Dakota mid-size doesn't appear in about 2 years, I'll be resigned to the larger 1500 Classic to replace my 92 Dakota.
Yeah without the comma it sounds stupid lol. Whats wrong with the 92?

·
Super Moderator
32,911 Posts
Yeah without the comma it sounds stupid lol. Whats wrong with the 92?
4 separate incidents of frame rust. Repaired each time, but it's diminishing returns at this point. Repairs so far have been safe, but it would be a patchwork quilt if I tried to take it further. Monitoring it carefully at this point.
Heartbraking, because the interior is nearly pristine after 30 years, the drivetrain is almost like new at 242K miles.

·
Registered
778 Posts
4 separate incidents of frame rust. Repaired each time, but it's diminishing returns at this point. Repairs so far have been safe, but it would be a patchwork quilt if I tried to take it further. Monitoring it carefully at this point.
Heartbraking, because the interior is nearly pristine after 30 years, the drivetrain is almost like new at 242K miles.
Living in PA I know all to well the rust and frame rust in my state. Some can be avoided and some cannot. I suppose you could get a whole other frame but that's a lot of effort. Hard to find trucks that vintage with pristine interiors though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I had to replace my '16 Ram, I would seriously consider the Classic over the DT. Mine has been great other than the Hemi manifold bolts issue at 35K.
The Classic is a timeless design that has aged well. It is also a less complicated electrical architecture. I see a lot of dead battery and other electrical issues on the 5th Gen Ram forum.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If I had to replace my '16 Ram, I would seriously consider the Classic over the DT. Mine has been great other than the Hemi manifold bolts issue at 35K.
The Classic is a timeless design that has aged well. It is also a less complicated electrical architecture. I see a lot of dead battery and other electrical issues on the 5th Gen Ram forum.
Thats part of the reason I like the classic ones is the less complicated electrical architecture. I don't need a gaudy looking giant tablet to have. Give me the knobs and buttons.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think I would get the classic over the newer model. It seems like it has too many options and was having some quality issues with the etorque. I'm giving myself a year to see what the prices look like.
Yeah I don't really need all those options for my lifestyle. Didn't know about the etorque issues until you brought it up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah I don't really need all those options for my lifestyle. Didn't know about the etorque issues until you brought it up.
Yeah. Hopefully they have it fixed by now since the truck has been out for a few years. I don't need a fancy truck but I want certain things that the classic definitely offers.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DS's are great trucks but it's time.

If I were Ram I would be working on packages for DT Tradesmen to make them more attractive.

Warren Truck could do 200k trucks to help SHAP.

I still maintain that Ram can beat the Blue Oval if given the proper US plant space.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DS's are great trucks but it's time.

If I were Ram I would be working on packages for DT Tradesmen to make them more attractive.

They need to make the front end of the DT more attractive and muscular, or Classic like, on the non Rebel versions.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah. Hopefully they have it fixed by now since the truck has been out for a few years. I don't need a fancy truck but I want certain things that the classic definitely offers.
Exactly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
much like other dakota owners give me a classic 04 dakota. gen 2 sold well. gen 3 they screwed up the winning combo. my 02 will only last so long here in PA. at this point ill be looking at a rust free 04 to rebuild and then a winter beater to keep my dak in good shape.

·
Registered
778 Posts
much like other dakota owners give me a classic 04 dakota. gen 2 sold well. gen 3 they screwed up the winning combo. my 02 will only last so long here in PA. at this point ill be looking at a rust free 04 to rebuild and then a winter beater to keep my dak in good shape.
I feel your pain living in PA as well. The salt here is just horrible for the roads. Thankfully my truck isn't that rusty.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts