Allpar Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had a 2015 DS built at Warren Truck Assembly exactly 7 years ago today.

Traded in for a DT which has much better technology.

By attractive I mean packages that the younger coming into the work force can afford. 50k for a Big Horn doesn't build up the future Limited owners.

Now for the bean counters 50k for a Big Horn DT is good. But if you are making 15-18 dollars per hour that is unattainable truck.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
By attractive I mean packages that the younger coming into the work force can afford. 50k for a Big Horn doesn't build up the future Limited owners.

Now for the bean counters 50k for a Big Horn DT is good. But if you are making 15-18 dollars per hour that is unattainable truck.
True, but first, a Big Horn DT is not a truck you should expect to buy new on sub-$20/hr wages, and I would submit that given the longevity of new vehicles, if the electronics componentry holds up, the used market is the way to go for folks in the sub-$20/hr wage anyway. I haven't made that little since 1998, and I've only bought one new vehicle, the Challenger. My 08 Jeep, bought in Jan 2015, and paid off in 2017, for all it's problems, at 173,000 miles, still gets me from A to B for nothing but the cost of fuel, oil, and occasionally some repairs.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
I feel your pain living in PA as well. The salt here is just horrible for the roads. Thankfully my truck isn't that rusty.
Former NY'er here. We visited my cousins in Buffalo a few years back. NY uses so much salt the road turns white. While there I noticed vehicles less than 5 years old developing rust spots.

Here in east central VA, VDOT doesn't need to use much salt or more recently, brine. Hence, my 15 year old Ram doesn't have much rust. Just a couple bubbles developing over the LR wheel well.

Here's some pics from last year:
Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
778 Posts
Former NY'er here. We visited my cousins in Buffalo a few years back. NY uses so much salt the road turns white. While there I noticed vehicles less than 5 years old developing rust spots.

Here in east central VA, VDOT doesn't need to use much salt or more recently, brine. Hence, my 15 year old Ram doesn't have much rust. Just a couple bubbles developing over the LR wheel well.

Here's some pics from last year:
View attachment 85530
View attachment 85531
Yeah and when they use all that salt seems to last for 5 seconds when it's snowing then it's worthless. Certain states use red beet juice to treat the roads and appears to work. Should be used here in PA but It's not.

Looks like your truck held up well!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yeah and when they use all that salt seems to last for 5 seconds when it's snowing then it's worthless. Certain states use red beet juice to treat the roads and appears to work. Should be used here in PA but It's not.

Looks like your truck held up well!
I've never heard of the use of red beet juice for the road. We've had some mild winters here in Delaware for the last few years. This week alone we've had two snowstorms so it looks like our winter will be interesting. I usually see the brine being spread and maybe a little salt or sand in intersections. None seems to really work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah the Classic was a very advanced truck and its being proven by its longevity in the market.

it would of been interesting to see how it would of done with real updates ie a new interior like the heavy duty trucks and a new front clip.

i would of really liked to see them down size the body to the Dakota second generation, keep the Hemi Hemi have a 4 pot diesel and a 4 gas with a turbo and electric assist.

But what do i know i aint running the place.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,450 Posts
I don't know who comes up with this hog wash. A $50K truck is not truely affordable for a family with even double the 15-18/hr wage.

Our household income is north of $100K and a $50K truck would still be a stretch to fit into the budget. Of course, it depends greatly on the interest rate, length of loan and how much is put down.

Let's see, $50K less $2,000 down = $48,000 to finance. At 3% interest, 2.5% sales tax financed over 60 months = $885/month. 72 months = $748/month. When my income was a little over $52K, a $748/month payment was NOT affordable. Even with my new job (started last May) with significantly more income (more than double the 15-18/hr wage mentioned earlier), $748/month would be a stretch. On paper, I could probably do it, but I will not put my finances in that sort of position.

My daughter and her fiance (both work at Walmart) could barely qualify to buy a used (2017) SUV that was priced at $17K. Their credit is not the best and the payment still ended up at ~$350/month. For a family of 5, it is a burden. But they had no choice. Her '12 Sonata, while in decent shape, had grown too small for her family. They needed a larger vehicle.

·
Car Freak
2,096 Posts
I don't know who comes up with this hog wash. A $50K truck is not truely affordable for a family with even double the 15-18/hr wage.

Our household income is north of $100K and a $50K truck would still be a stretch to fit into the budget. Of course, it depends greatly on the interest rate, length of loan and how much is put down.

Let's see, $50K less $2,000 down = $48,000 to finance. At 3% interest, 2.5% sales tax financed over 60 months = $885/month. 72 months = $748/month. When my income was a little over $52K, a $748/month payment was NOT affordable. Even with my new job (started last May) with significantly more income (more than double the 15-18/hr wage mentioned earlier), $748/month would be a stretch. On paper, I could probably do it, but I will not put my finances in that sort of position.

My daughter and her fiance (both work at Walmart) could barely qualify to buy a used (2017) SUV that was priced at $17K. Their credit is not the best and the payment still ended up at ~$350/month. For a family of 5, it is a burden. But they had no choice. Her '12 Sonata, while in decent shape, had grown too small for her family. They needed a larger vehicle.
The price of the DT Rams was one of the reasons why I bought a Classic. The DT is more refined but the Classic has nicer packages for way cheaper…still, $800 a month for 96 months ( living in Canada, financed through a bank at 5% interest, in Qc we pay almost 16% sales tax😡)

·
Super Moderator
39,063 Posts
The $50k MSRP Ram Classic was selling for around $40k street price before supply issues and such have probably reduced the discounts.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
778 Posts
So tell me what is wrong with the E-Torque Engines? I have a 2020 Rebel with E-Torque, and use it constantly, with NO issues! Now have 18,000 Miles. I love my Ram Rebel!
I don't know? I wasn't the one that pointed that out.

·
Super Moderator
39,063 Posts
So tell me what is wrong with the E-Torque Engines? I have a 2020 Rebel with E-Torque, and use it constantly, with NO issues! Now have 18,000 Miles. I love my Ram Rebel!
When I was looking at them (two years ago) there were a lot of battery and wiring harness issues. I don't see the number of problems appearing with the later years so hopefully it's been improved. Plus back then the added cost wasn't worth the benefit.

Reactions: Tony K and tlc

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have a E-Torque at 5 months old and 3500 miles.

Zero issues and I do notice a increase in mpg.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think I would get the classic over the newer model. It seems like it has too many options and was having some quality issues with the etorque. I'm giving myself a year to see what the prices look like.
They're going to add new colours and $2000 to the price.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts