Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
surprised nissan is gonna use the v8 diesel...thought they'd use the cummins v6 diesel instead. wonder what tranny they'll use behind this 550 lb/ft motor?? if the rest of the truck gets proper updates...it could be competitive again! :)

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
redhed said:
if the rest of the truck gets proper updates...it could be competitive finally! :)
Fixed that for you

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
redhed said:
surprised nissan is gonna use the v8 diesel...thought they'd use the cummins v6 diesel instead. wonder what tranny they'll use behind this 550 lb/ft motor?? if the rest of the truck gets proper updates...it could be competitive again! :)
I just don't get the vibe that this deal will be long term. I don't know anything about the details. But the obvious question is if there are any stipulations.
The Ram is already receiving a smaller diesel as well. So it will have it's lineup pretty well covered with options.
The news for Nissan shows some degree of ambition, but ultimately I imagine just a marginally better effort than before. They will gain more sales, they'll have the initial surge. Then will quiet back down. The D3 are fighting harder than ever, the trucks are incredibly refined and offer tons of options. There is a lot of loyalty. I am doubtful Nissan or Toyota will offer a more complete lineup, or a particularly superior vehicle. Which means after the surge, appeal will diminish.

Accordingly, there will be a niche for this diesel equipped truck, but it's going to be invaded by more offerings from competitors.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
it'll be interesting to see where nissan goes with this truck, or how dedicated they are to making it competitive. it wasn't long ago they were gonna use the ram as a base to start with on their redesign, so...who knows? one thing is for sure, the availability of a v8 cummins alone will "bring some boys to the yard!" :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bigger news would be if they could actually sell more Titans as a result of the Cummins diesel. They have such
a small fraction of the market they might have been better off buying badge-engineered Rams

·
Registered
681 Posts
LeeRyder said:
I saw a full size Japanese truck with Texas plates once....
....once.
Visit San Antonio where they build the Tundra and now the Tacoma, they drive what they build.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
I empathise with the dealer who will have to explain to the common consumer why the Titan has the Cummins and Ram doesn't for the 1500 but does for the HD and up. Some people just won't understand.

Nissan better send a thank you card to Dodge for laying out all the positive groundwork for them.

·
Registered
819 Posts
JTE said:
Visit San Antonio where they build the Tundra and now the Tacoma, they drive what they build.
That's too bad. They could have something so much better. That's Toyota's grand scheme. Build them here, make people think "Hey I'm helping America" and laugh all the way to the bank in Tokyo. I have said this before and I will say it again. It makes me sick how many people buy Asian vehicles, my Mom included.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
plymouth1 said:
That's too bad. They could have something so much better. That's Toyota's grand scheme. Build them here, make people think "Hey I'm helping America" and laugh all the way to the bank in Tokyo. I have said this before and I will say it again. It makes me sick how many people buy Asian vehicles, my Mom included.
don't you find it an irony that asian companies have been building assembly plants here in the good ole' USA, while the so-called American companies have gone either north or south to build a number of their plants in the last 25 years?? which solution would appear to bring more plant/assembly jobs to the US? :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
GasAxe said:
I empathise with the dealer who will have to explain to the common consumer why the Titan has the Cummins and Ram doesn't for the 1500 but does for the HD and up. Some people just won't understand.

Nissan better send a thank you card to Dodge for laying out all the positive groundwork for them.
They did send a thank you card, one they nabbed Fred Diaz.

The next Titan will be a nice truck

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Mr. M thinks he knows better than anyone, Mr. Diaz now has a chance to show that he doesn't.
It could be that basic. ;)

For all of the Cummins vs. VM folks, this is WrestleMania. ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
redhed said:
don't you find it an irony that asian companies have been building assembly plants here in the good ole' USA, while the so-called American companies have gone either north or south to build a number of their plants in the last 25 years?? which solution would appear to bring more plant/assembly jobs to the US? :)
25 years? "Maxwell Motor Sales Corporation became the Chrysler Corporation on June 6th, 1925. Eleven days later, the Chrysler Corporation of Canada Limited was registered with its head office in Windsor, Ontario" North, actually if you look at a map Windsor is south of Detroit.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Mr. M thinks he knows better than anyone, Mr. Diaz now has a chance to show that he doesn't.
It could be that basic. ;)

For all of the Cummins vs. VM folks, this is WrestleMania. ;)
Personally I think the VM 3.0 is better and dont get me started on the guy that bailed on Chrysler for Nissan!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have fair trade with Canada and Mexico since they buy a lot of American vehicles but our companies and workers are a victim of Japanese mercantilism. The Japanese government has bought the yen down for decades to the point they have the highest debt per capita in the world, far higher than Greece. They do this to give their exporters an edge breaking into other markets while making imports more expensive.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-23/mushroom-cloudy-future-2016-japan-net-debt-capita-will-be-140000

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/japan-tops-list-countries-deepest-debt-1C7100630

The Cummins will be a fuel pig in a 1/2 ton truck and the VM will have the best mpg in the industry. If you need to move big loads, you need a Ram with the same proven inline six diesel that is in many over the road haulers

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
But the cummins is a V8 with stamina VM´s v6 is a strange euro engine.
Dont get me wrong here Ram would have benefitted from a V8 Cummins.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
AC TC said:
But the cummins is a V8 with stamina VM´s v6 is a strange euro engine.
Dont get me wrong here Ram would have benefitted from a V8 Cummins.
Strange Euro Engine...jointly developed with Detroit Diesel and Cummins, owned by Roger Penske and Chrysler, that was what was strange. TheVM plant is one of the most advanced and modern in the world.

VM likely has the closest kinship to Cummins, as any engine in the world.
More importantly, it's now an "in-house" engine and has many more versatile uses than just a truck V8...

I'd imagine that last paragraph, was a part of the debate between M and Diaz,...just before Diaz walked out the door.
For all we know, Diaz had secured the Cummins engine rights for Ram and M rejected the idea.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts