Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck trends, pickuptrucks.com and other sites report that ram released partial tow rating for 2WD reg cab, 8' bed Eco diesel at 9200 lbs. Additionally 3.6 gas / 8 spd tow rating increased to 7450lbs.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
dakrt99 said:
Wow, that is an increase of nearly 1000lbs. towing for the V6. A stronger parking gear is responsible?
I just missed out on this. I am so appalled. :rimshot:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am disappointed that they are still not going with the J2807 rating. I really wish all of the automakers would get on board with using the standard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their tow and payload ratings appear a little on the low side as compared to some configurations of Ford and GM, but being conservative may be an indication of the ratings meeting J2807 standards without making such a claim. The PUTCO comparison test demonstrated the truck's capable at max rated payload and tow numbers.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I guess that the upgrade involves a more robust pall to improve towing capacity by almost 1000 lbs. I wonder if anything else has been improved?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Key here on the Ecodiesel is that those ratings are only with the 3.21 & 3.55 gears. The same configuration with the Hemi is only 9,050 instead of 9,200 lbs. (RC 4x2) When/ if Ram offers an optional 3.92 gear the max tow would be about 10,650.

Reactions: DCXcarbuilder

·
Registered
132 Posts
LtjimT said:
Their tow and payload ratings appear a little on the low side as compared to some configurations of Ford and GM, but being conservative may be an indication of the ratings meeting J2807 standards without making such a claim. The PUTCO comparison test demonstrated the truck's capable at max rated payload and tow numbers.
This occurred to me too, but if it were true I wonder what the advantage would be to not announcing that their specs are in line withe SAE rating system? I think that would only give them more credit in the eyes of consumers, although maybe I am wrong.

Ramfan said:
Key here on the Ecodiesel is that those ratings are only with the 3.21 & 3.55 gears. The same configuration with the Hemi is only 9,050 instead of 9,200 lbs. (RC 4x2) When/ if Ram offers an optional 3.92 gear the max tow would be about 10,650.
Is that comparing with a Hemi Ram with the ZF 8 speed or with the old 5/6 speed transmission?

·
Registered
113 Posts
So far to my knowledge Ram has not announced any change in tow ratings for the TF8. Pretty sure they don't plan to. Although its certainly more capable to handle or accelerate & hold and without gear hunting than with the old 5/6 speed. It's based on weight & rear gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ramfan said:
So far to my knowledge Ram has not announced any change in tow ratings for the TF8. Pretty sure they don't plan to. Although its certainly more capable to handle or accelerate & hold and without gear hunting than with the old 5/6 speed. It's based on weight & rear gear ratio.
Yes, Ram issued a presser on the V6/TF8 yesterday. Essentially, Ram announced that improvements to the parking gear in the TF8 unlocked an extra 950 lbs. in towing capacity in the V6/TF8.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sebring, I was referring to the EcoDiesel which has the version of the TF8 that comes with the Hemi. I believe the change in tow rating only applies to the Pentastar.

Edit
Actually Philguy's question that I was referring to was whether the Ram 1500 Hemi tow ratings were for the 5/6 speed or the TF8. I was saying I don't think Ram changed Hemi tow ratings going from the 5/6 speed to the TF8.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at the Ram PDF on tow ratings the 8spd has a 50lb increase over hemi/ 65rfe in any configuration. I think the TF8 is lighter by that amount.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
LtjimT said:
Looking at the Ram PDF on tow ratings the 8spd has a 50lb increase over hemi/ 65rfe in any configuration. I think the TF8 is lighter by that amount.
The tow rating of the 8 speed behind WHAT engine? Behind the Hemi?
Not meaning to single anyone out, however, please folks lets be more clear and specific as this thread is already muddy and confusing. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the lack of specificity, the TF8 hemi combination maintains a 50lb tow increase over the 65RFE hemi combination in all configurations. I believe I have read from a different source that there is a 50 lb difference in weight between the two transmissions. Thanks, Jim

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
LtjimT said:
Sorry for the lack of specificity, the TF8 hemi combination maintains a 50lb tow increase over the 65RFE hemi combination in all configurations. I believe I have read from a different source that there is a 50 lb difference in weight between the two transmissions. Thanks, Jim
Thank you very much!
I just wanted to be sure, since the V6 gas-V6 diesel confusion was left unresolved. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lol The struggle to be concise. And yes i should take the time to correct my grammer. LtjimT, Do you have a link to that Ram PDF?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know how to post the link ( computer tech challenged!), but go to the Ram site and select the towing capability block in the upper toolbar. Select light duty. You will get a screen showing basic tow/payload info. In the bottom rt corner you can select PDF version for 1500, 2500, etc. It gives very complete info. Hope this helps. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Jim I found it. I have been there before. Ram must have updated it as the last time I looked it did not list separate tow ratings for Hemi A6 & A8.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts