Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ram To Reveal Heavy Duty and EV Truck This Autumn, CEO Discussing a Maverick Competitor

Ram concept shown during 2021 EV event.

Sorry this isn't my usual written article. The reason is because I don't know anything about this subject, so thanks to the folks at Autoblog who sat down with Ram CEO, Mike Koval at the Detroit Auto Show! Give it a read below! I'll just be your guide to highlight some things.

Source (Autoblog)

Secondary Article (Motor1)

If you want to read a lot of their speculation, read the articles, otherwise here are some tidbits...

• Koval's exact words were that they are "actively and aggressively" looking at trucks smaller than the current Ram 1500. When asked about a midsized truck he said they are also interested in even smaller vehicles than that.

• Koval also noted that Ram might be able to leverage Stellantis' wide array of brands for additional models.

• Ram has seen record sales in international markets, with standouts being South America and Ram is interested in smaller vehicles in new world markets.

• Koval also hinted at a major Ram Heavy Duty announcement in October.

• Ram will show the Revolution concept in November, which will preview the electric Ram 1500.

• The production Ram 1500 electric pickup will be coming in 2024. It will be accompanied with some sort of plug-in hybrid or range extender hybrid setup.

Ram Heavy Duty truck.

A rebadged Fiat as the Ram 700 in South American markets.

OTHER TOPICS YOU MAY ENJOY
Chrysler Airflow Revealed

2024 Chrysler Concorde Rendering
7th Generation Mustang Revealed

·
Super Moderator
21,020 Posts
I think they are learning the same lesson the the pickup truck market they learned in the sedan market. A full sized vehicle, even with large discounts, won't necessarily win customers from a midsize competitor's vehicle. Huge discounts to put the Chrysler 300 into the midsize class (price wise) and produced nothing more than huge depreciation hits for those few who did buy 300. The truck market is a bit more forgiving, but the "less than full size" market is where the real pickup sales growth is.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent writeup.
I appreciate that, thank you kindly. :) It means a lot coming from you as well.

I think they are learning the same lesson the the pickup truck market they learned in the sedan market. A full sized vehicle, even with large discounts, won't necessarily win customers from a midsize competitor's vehicle. Huge discounts to put the Chrysler 300 into the midsize class (price wise) and produced nothing more than huge depreciation hits for those few who did buy 300. The truck market is a bit more forgiving, but the "less than full size" market is where the real pickup sales growth is.
You hit it on the nose I believe.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It interests me how they are considering a Maverick competitor, which is something I would consider buying. I don't like the idea they might bring a South American/Euro pickup product to the US though. Those pickups usually in my mind look very dopey, even if they might be perfectly good vehicles. The Ram 700 is an embarrassing design to wear the Ram badge in my opinion.

They really need a purpose built pickup for North America if they want to compete with the excellent Maverick pickup. Ford could do it, so should Ram, if they choose to go down this route.

·
Jeepaholic
7,063 Posts
Simply rebadging a product from another market won't work IMO, and if they do that it would be a mistake. However, using a platform the underpins one of those products to develop a vehicle for the NA market could work perhaps, or a joint Stellantis platform. Maverick is from all reviews a very good and capable vehicle, with more variants coming soon. If they want to compete with that, they better do their due diligence.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maverick is from all reviews a very good and capable vehicle, with more variants coming soon. If they want to compete with that, they better do their due diligence.
Great points! You mentioned Ram needs to do their due diligence, and i agree. Either make a pickup that is a Maverick beater or highly competitive. Otherwise don't bother. None of these half-asked products will do it.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Just don’t do the same thing as Maverick. That’s the safe path through the approval process but not a path to success. If it’s compactness is a selling point (and it is) improve upon that. BEV is a must at this point. Offer a variety of bed options, not just short and standard bed, but drop-side, tilt, etc…

·
Jeepaholic
7,063 Posts
They don't have to make a Maverick clone, however, offering a respectable amount of utility combined with great value for the price is a good recipe for success IMO, something that Ford has done well with Maverick so far. Can they do better or differentiate with different capabilities? Sure, absolutely, assuming they're actually willing to go this route in the first place and this isn't just "talk".

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
Chevrolet is seriously considering a Maverick competitor, the Montana.

Ford is seriously considering a Maverick spinoff as a new version of the Ranchero. Chevy may respond with a new El Camino.

Stellantis is standing still.

·
Jeepaholic
7,063 Posts
Chevrolet is seriously considering a Maverick competitor, the Montana.

Ford is seriously considering a Maverick spinoff as a new version of the Ranchero. Chevy may respond with a new El Camino.

Stellantis is standing still.
Yup. If you want something other than Gladiator, then you’re out of luck in the US for Stellantis. Which means you need to shop another brand to get what you want. And then you have to hear the griping from certain members here because you dared to purchase something else. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

·
Super Moderator
21,020 Posts
Yup. If you want something other than Gladiator, then you’re out of luck in the US for Stellantis. Which means you need to shop another brand to get what you want. And then you have to hear the griping from certain members here because you dared to purchase something else. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Or, if you’re lucky enough to live where rust isn’t an issue, you buy a used Dodge Dakota.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i love my dakota but being in PA and its my wifes snow truck down into MD for work (i work at home) i want a dodge M80 but will likely have to ship in a rust free dakota to keep nice. while patching up the 02 4x4 for continued snow duty. ive been driving dakotas for 20 years they were just the right size and they worked their butt off.both my 92 and 02 were std cab 4x4s manual trans

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500, 1979 Dodge W200, 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
31 Posts
I am wondering what the major heavy duty announcement is? Hydrogen Cummins? I think that they are supposed to reveal something at the Texas State Fair, which is this week... I haven't seen anything yet?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am wondering what the major heavy duty announcement is? Hydrogen Cummins? I think that they are supposed to reveal something at the Texas State Fair, which is this week... I haven't seen anything yet?
I'm wondering the same thing about the be Ram HD's. I'm a HD customer and I would like to replace my current '14 Ram 2500 next year but if they announce a new generation HD coming in say '24 or '25, I'll wait for that. I know the current DS based trucks work very well and sell well but it is time for a new one. GM & Ford have both introduced new HD trucks and have already done at least one or two refreshed designs on them in the last 5 years so it's time for Ram to step up in the HD game. Hard to say what we have is good enough when they consistently play 3rd fiddle to the other two in this segment.

·
Registered
2012 Ram 1500, 1979 Dodge W200, 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
31 Posts
GM & Ford have both introduced new HD trucks and have already done at least one or two refreshed designs on them in the last 5 years
I just saw Ford new Super Duty yesterday on Motortrend. I think it's gross. There isn't any specs on towing and hauling yet. But it is loaded with towing aids and cameras. I think that we are just getting lazy with the towing and stuff. But what do I know? haha

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,626 Posts
They are introducing a new hood. The rest of the 2023 HD trucks appear unchanged.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
1,167 Posts
Ram To Reveal Heavy Duty and EV Truck This Autumn, CEO Discussing a Maverick Competitor

Ram concept shown during 2021 EV event.

Sorry this isn't my usual written article. The reason is because I don't know anything about this subject, so thanks to the folks at Autoblog who sat down with Ram CEO, Mike Koval at the Detroit Auto Show! Give it a read below! I'll just be your guide to highlight some things.

Source (Autoblog)

Secondary Article (Motor1)

If you want to read a lot of their speculation, read the articles, otherwise here are some tidbits...

• Koval's exact words were that they are "actively and aggressively" looking at trucks smaller than the current Ram 1500. When asked about a midsized truck he said they are also interested in even smaller vehicles than that.

• Koval also noted that Ram might be able to leverage Stellantis' wide array of brands for additional models.

• Ram has seen record sales in international markets, with standouts being South America and Ram is interested in smaller vehicles in new world markets.

• Koval also hinted at a major Ram Heavy Duty announcement in October.

• Ram will show the Revolution concept in November, which will preview the electric Ram 1500.

• The production Ram 1500 electric pickup will be coming in 2024. It will be accompanied with some sort of plug-in hybrid or range extender hybrid setup.

Ram Heavy Duty truck.

A rebadged Fiat as the Ram 700 in South American markets.

OTHER TOPICS YOU MAY ENJOY
Chrysler Airflow Revealed

2024 Chrysler Concorde Rendering
7th Generation Mustang Revealed
If the Ram "small truck" looks anything like this, it'll be the laughing stock of the U.S. market. See Honda Ridgeline and their (lack of) sales as an example.

I just saw Ford new Super Duty yesterday on Motortrend. I think it's gross. There isn't any specs on towing and hauling yet. But it is loaded with towing aids and cameras. I think that we are just getting lazy with the towing and stuff. But what do I know? haha
Really? Ford is freshening the body, again, increasing payload and towing, introducing another brand new engine, beefing up the engine that was new for 2 years ago, and they're enhancing the diesel again. There's also an all new interior, better looking wheels, more trims, new off road packages, etc. Meanwhile what is Ram doing? Well, they're sitting on a body style that's now going to be 14 years old, with an interior that's 5 years old, with powertrains that are 9 years old. It's absolutely pathetic and it embarrasses me as a Ram fan.

The "major announcement" coming for Ram HD had better be the 5th Gen body and new engines. Otherwise it's just another joke from Stellantis.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts