Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Moparians, so I just wanted to point out something and I was thinking about this for about a week or two ago. I was conceiving if RAM could join the military business building an army vehicle based off the RAM 1500 chassis, similar to GM Defense and their army Silverado concept. I look at the days of the Power Wagons and Dodge WC trucks of WWII and Chrysler’s take in the military cookie jar, thinking “wow that may be interesting idea if they’ve done it again”.

This may probably never even happen but what are thoughts about RAM in the military business? How feasible would it be? Would it make economical sense? What plant where they build it at? Could Stellantis sign a contract with General Dynamics?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Seems to me future military vehicles will revolve around drones and autonomous vehicles where the operators are sitting somewhere in Utah or Arizona.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There will always be a need for trucks to move things and people around the base. Chevy has been doing it for awhile now and the US military doesn't really buy them. Obviosuly these trucks never go into real combat zones, but just base stuff. I don't see why not. But I think Ram right now would rather just make trucks with packages and advertising saluting the troops than actually making a truck for them on the base.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There will always be a need for trucks to move things and people around the base. Chevy has been doing it for awhile now and the US military doesn't really buy them. Obviosuly these trucks never go into real combat zones, but just base stuff. I don't see why not. But I think Ram right now would rather just make trucks with packages and advertising saluting the troops than actually making a truck for them on the base.
Agreed, I think Jeep also is taking care of that with the J8 too. It’s fun to dream though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems to me future military vehicles will revolve around drones and autonomous vehicles where the operators are sitting somewhere in Utah or Arizona.
GM can putting their Super Cruise into the Army Silverado :p

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The M880 was basically a Dodge 200 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We had Ram based diesel bobtails up to the point I retired in '06. Also had Jeep diesel bobtails into the mid '90s (IIRC), and both vehicles deployed to FOLs (but neither are considered combat vehicles). But, (the Wrangler for sure, I suspect the Ram also) were cobbled together by third party vendors.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
61 Posts
I would not mind a HMMWV replacement designed by Ram. We do have some Chrysler products in our fleet including some 1998-2000 Dodge Ram bobtails, a magnum, a few stratus sedans, a brand new dodge charger pursuit, and several new Ram classic pickups. Military vehicle wise though, we only have HMMWVs and the modern 2.5 and 5 ton armored trucks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Decisions of this nature by the Federal Government are politically motivated and an ongoing example of Pork Barrel Politics. Why else would an established DEFENSE CONTRACTOR with ZERO experience with electric vehicles miraculously win the contract to produce a new line of vehicles for the US Post Office? Why is it that the newest additions of vehicles to the Local Post Office Fleets are Mercedes-Benz and not Ram Powermasters or Ford Transits?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am NOT in favor of the Navy going to unmanned ships.

I am 100% convinced that these ships will be hacked.

The hackers won't come in the proverbial front door. The hack will be many legacy systems down the road.

·
Valued Member
2,722 Posts
Wasn't the Abrams designed by Chrysler Defense before it was spun off?

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Well there still is a large defence vehicle business related, NOT that tangentially, to say RAM or JEEP or rather exFCA....

Iveco Defence, part of i believe Case New Holland Industrial (also helmed by Sergio.)

Iveco defense vehicles also have contracts with usa military, maybe? Am not sure but i think so?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We use equipment from "military" background in our underground operations but I have never seen anything Chrysler related but as @Prabhjot indicated we do use New Holland converted tractors as personal carriers and utility vehicles (forklifts, scissor lifts etc.). Have read and watched a lot of Chrysler war time efforts, so thanks for that post @Fast Eddie but my all time favorite is the 16 cyl Hemi engine designed for aircraft

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Have I missed something somewhere?

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of US Federal regulation that prohibits foreign owned companies from manufacturing defense items for the military? As I remember...that's why AMC had to part with AM General when Renault gained controlling interest. Wouldn't this disqualify Stella, since the company is registered in The Netherlands?

Is this regulation no longer in place?

·
Registered
152 Posts
As a novice in all this if I were getting into business with the military it would be technology and space. All those drones and non human drivers of vehicles are useless if the link from the ground based stick jockeys and the actual "thing" is disrupted. I believe all the bad guys Russia, China, Iran, North Korea and others are currently working in that direction. Heck we can't even protect the gas pipelines and simple retail systems currently.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,470 Posts
Have I missed something somewhere?

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of US Federal regulation that prohibits foreign owned companies from manufacturing defense items for the military? As I remember...that's why AMC had to part with AM General when Renault gained controlling interest. Wouldn't this disqualify Stella, since the company is registered in The Netherlands?

Is this regulation no longer in place?
This regulation was removed, largely, I think, for Halliburton, which is headquartered in a foreign postal box. They like taxpayer money, but they don't want their own money to become taxpayer money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This regulation was removed, largely, I think, for Halliburton, which is headquartered in a foreign postal box. They like taxpayer money, but they don't want their own money to become taxpayer money.
And politicians somehow get richer....

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
This is getting political.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts