Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. I have a 2011 ram crew cab 6ft bed. The standard bed of the dodge is a solid 6' shorter than every other brands standard size bed. I had no clue about that when i got the truck and would not have bought it if i new that. For that reason I tell all my friends why I would not buy this truck again. I Know guys that won't upgrade their truck to the newer one cause of that. Any one else feel the same way. I found out while loading dirt bikes, going to home depot and getting materials fo the house.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok. I have a 2011 ram crew cab 6ft bed. The standard bed of the dodge is a solid 6' shorter than every other brands standard size bed. I had no clue about that when i got the truck and would not have bought it if i new that. For that reason I tell all my friends why I would not buy this truck again. I Know guys that won't upgrade their truck to the newer one cause of that. Any one else feel the same way. I found out while loading dirt bikes, going to home depot and getting materials fo the house.
Um, ok...let me explain;

With a Crew Cab, you have a choice of a 5 foot 7 inch bed (the shorter bed, likely what you have). This makes the overall truck shorter (i.e. easier to park, etc). That said, you also have the choice of a 6 foot 4 inch bed on a Crew Cab (the Quad Cabs come with a 6'4" bed as the only option). Of course, I'm talking about Ram 1500s, (2500-up are different, they don't even offer a 5'7" bed).

So, that said, most companies offer something like a 6 foot 3 to 6 foot 6 inch bed as the shorter than 8 foot option. Ram does and has for many years.

On your next Ram, be sure to look at all the available opitions and test drive both wheelbases to make sure that you are getting what works best for you.

Good luck!

JS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, ok...let me explain;

With a Crew Cab, you have a choice of a 5 foot 7 inch bed (the shorter bed, likely what you have). This makes the overall truck shorter (i.e. easier to park, etc). That said, you also have the choice of a 6 foot 4 inch bed on a Crew Cab (the Quad Cabs come with a 6'4" bed as the only option). Of course, I'm talking about Ram 1500s, (2500-up are different, they don't even offer a 5'7" bed).

So, that said, most companies offer something like a 6 foot 3 to 6 foot 6 inch bed as the shorter than 8 foot option. Ram does and has for many years.

On your next Ram, be sure to look at all the available opitions and test drive both wheelbases to make sure that you are getting what works best for you.

Good luck!

JS
Um, ok...let me explain;

Good luck!

JS
So the 5'7 is only the 1500. I have a ram 2500. The 2500 comes with the 6'4 or 8ft. Dodges 6ft bed dimensions are 76.3'. ford 81.9' gmc 82.2'. I know It doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference when you use your trucks bed. I use my bed way more than i tow and i don't want a long bed. All my buddies with fords and chevys can put two dirt bikes straight in with wheels noised to each other and sport bikes straight in with tailgate shut. My dodge will not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the 5'7 is only the 1500. I have a ram 2500. The 2500 comes with the 6'4 or 8ft. Dodges 6ft bed dimensions are 76.3'. ford 81.9' gmc 82.2'. I know It doesn't seem like much but it makes a difference when you use your trucks bed. I use my bed way more than i tow and i don't want a long bed. All my buddies with fords and chevys can put two dirt bikes straight in with wheels noised to each other and sport bikes straight in with tailgate shut. My dodge will not.
Yes, on a 2500-up you can get the 6'4" bed (around 76") or the 8 foot bed (96"). The Crew Cabs are bigger on the Rams (as compared to Ford and Chevy/GMC) so the shorter bed makes up for the added length of the cab (allowing the truck to be, overall, similar in length and easier to park/manuever, etc.)

I don't see Ram adding 6 inches to any beds during this body style. Doesn't seem to be an issue for most. Good luck with whatever you do.

JS

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Guys I know with Rams and dirt bikes load them in fine....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to rag on dodge cause its a good truck. But I use my truck more for the bed than for towing. Yeah you can load bikes fine. Two bikes have to get you have to leave the tailgate down or get creative. The others you don't. I just have had other trucks and buddies with other trucks. Stuff just fits better and easier. If they matched the bed of others it would be worth it. There is a lot more feeling of security when stuff fits with the tailgate shut.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Forgot to mention... my comment was also with the tailgate closed...

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2005 QC Ram had the 6'4" bed, could fit my 2 up Arctic Cat ATV in the bed with tailgate down, was worried my 2017 CC with 5'7" bed would be to short. Not really, just haul ling stuff on my trailer, less chance of messing up my truck. Glad that I didn't get the 6'4" bed and parking a 2500 CC with the 8' bed has gotta be like parking a school bus.

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
Reactions: Doug D

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,795 Posts
To get my buisness they need sto sell the 1500 for 22 grand.
A 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman Reg Cab 6 foot bed MSRP starts at $28,200. Get up to $6,829 value until 1/4/2021. Now's your chance!

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
951 Posts
So a Ram 2500 short bed is 6" shorter than a Ford/GM short bed? I'm calling shenanigans on that. No way......

For me, I wanted the 5'7" box because the truck BARELY fits in my garage at home. A 6'4" box just won't do.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,795 Posts
So a Ram 2500 short bed is 6" shorter than a Ford/GM short bed? I'm calling shenanigans on that. No way......

For me, I wanted the 5'7" box because the truck BARELY fits in my garage at home. A 6'4" box just won't do.
Ram 2500 - website lists Crew Cab w/ 6' 4" bed or 8' bed. Crew cab/short bed overall length 238.8", w/8 ft bed 260.8"
Ford SuperDuty - Super Cab or Crew Cab available with 6.75' bed or 8' bed. Reg cab 8' bed only. Super Cab length w/short bed = 238.2" Crew Cab w/long bed = 250", Super Cab w/8 ft bed = 254.4" Crew Cab w/long bed 266."
Silverado 2500 - Crew Cab available with Standard Bed (80.2" [6.68']) or Long Bed (96.3" [8.025']). Short bed 250" bumper-to-bumper, Long Bed is 266".

So it looks like the Silverado HD crew cab long bed and the Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Long bed is longer by 6" than the Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/long bed.

The Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short bed, and the Ford Super Duty Short bed are about the same (difference of 0.6") The Silverado 2500 Short bed is 250" - nearly a foot longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts