Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know why they don't make the quad cab like they used to? I personally prefer the suicide door model over the newer quad cab styles.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sure, but only my opinion. First, no outside door handles for back seat access. Then, restricted leg room. The cabs were not large enough. The issue of cab strength might be a reason as well. No "B" pillar on a quad cab.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Also, with today's design you can use the back door without opening the front and you don't have to open / close in proper order. Try loading the back seat of the old design in a parking lot with a car next to you. Not to mention, the new Quad Cabs are 4 inches longer which would make the suicide style even more awkward.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Yep. A Quad/Crew cab with an 8 ft bed is a beeeeeach to park........

My '06 QC Short Bed can be a pain to park at times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It took me a long time to figure out how to park it, moving from a '94 Dodge Shadow. It's pretty easy, but those tight spaces can be a bit tricky haha. The worst part is when people open their doors into your truck! Or in the parking lot, when somebody hits your bumper and the chrome cracks. Now, it's inevitable that the thing's gonna rust out..I can clean it and delay it but..ah well, it happens

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
The worst part is when people open their doors into your truck! Or in the parking lot, when somebody hits your bumper and the chrome cracks. Now, it's inevitable that the thing's gonna rust out..I can clean it and delay it but..ah well, it happens
If possible, I tend to park away from everyone else so there's a smaller chance for door dings and the like. Even if it means walking a little more.

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
When I had my 1996 Ram 1500 (regular cab, 8ft bed) the length never bothered me, but the width did. I lived in the city and it was a pain at times, especially in parking gagrages. That's the main reason I switched back to a Dakota for the next truck.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Yeah, I generally don't like to drive my truck in the city. But we live in a very rural area so it's not all that often we go to the "big city" (Richmond, DC, Norfolk-Virginia Beach) with the Ram. Usually we take the Journey unless we need the extra hauling capability of the Ram. Some of the older sections of those downtown areas do have tighter, narrower streets that make it nerve wracking with a full size pickup.

The regular cab w/8 ft bed has the same overall length as the quad cab short beds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I know the length is about the same. I just wish they would make a cab around the size as mine. The new cabs are too big, I'm not filling my truck with adults, but I like the ability to take people, and the original quad cab design just looks nicer to me, maybe it's because it gives the effect of a 2-door pickup.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Yeah I know the length is about the same. I just wish they would make a cab around the size as mine. The new cabs are too big, I'm not filling my truck with adults, but I like the ability to take people, and the original quad cab design just looks nicer to me, maybe it's because it gives the effect of a 2-door pickup.
Tecnically that was an "extended cab" version and not a "quad cab" (quad = 4 doors). Since the extended versions didn't really have 4 doors, they are not quad cab trucks IMHO.

It more less boils down the specific needs of the buyer. Some need more bed space, others may need more cab space. For my use, the quad cab is fine. Other than weekly runs to the dump, occasional Lowe's runs, I really don't use the bed that much. And it is nice to fit the entire family in the cab when we do need to haul the family and cargo too big to fit in our Journey. The old extended version would be too small for our needs. On some occasions it would have been nice to have Ram with the Mega Cab or Crew Cab - the extra sapce would make it more comfortable for the kids. Even my QC can be a little tight at times.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know what you mean. I personally prefer the original quad cab with the suicide doors, but everybody has their own preferences.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope. A quad cab, by definition, has 4 conventional doors.
1995 - Dodge introduces its extended cab, marketed as a "Club Cab"
1998 - Dodge introduces its extended cab WITH suicide doors, marketed it as a "Quad Cab".
2002 - Dodge introduces a new "Quad Cab" with four "conventional doors".

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=383&fIId=557&mid=269

My buddy had a 1997 "Club Cab" which of course, did not have the suicide doors. He mentioned on more than one occassion, that he wished he had the 1998 "Quad Cab". He liked the extra room from his extended cab, but would have loved the ease afforded by having the rear hanging suicide doors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts