Allpar Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I always thought a Crew Cab had four real doors, while a Quad Cab had some alternate configuration that made it more than an extended cab (what Nissan called a "King Cab") but less than a conventional cab. That would be either really small front-hinged doors that were difficult to use, or rear-hinged doors that required the front doors to be opened.

A friend of ours has a Silverado with the rear-hinged doors- the back is too small for me to sit in. If I sit back enough that my knees clear the passenger's seat in front of me then my head has nowhere to go, and if I slouch enough that my head clears, even with the passenger's seat as far forward as it can go and still be sat in I can't sit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1995 - Dodge introduces its extended cab, marketed as a "Club Cab"
1998 - Dodge introduces its extended cab WITH suicide doors, marketed it as a "Quad Cab".
2002 - Dodge introduces a new "Quad Cab" with four "conventional doors".

http://media.chrysle...IId=557&mid=269

My buddy had a 1997 "Club Cab" which of course, did not have the suicide doors. He mentioned on more than one occassion, that he wished he had the 1998 "Quad Cab". He liked the extra room from his extended cab, but would have loved the ease afforded by having the rear hanging suicide doors.
Have lived with my 1997 ExCab since 2003. Love it. Have lived for about five months with my buddy's 1998 QC (suicide doors) ... love it more. It's a rougher truck, but the back seat is soooooooooo much more accessible.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Personally, I have had no problems with my Quad Cabs (an '05, and my '10), nor my Club Cab ('97). While not the largest, they offer plenty of space for most adults, and with a Quad, getting in and out is no worry. On the Club, it is a little harder.

My only complaint with the Quad cab is the 10 degree recline (if you call that a recline) of the rear seatback. On longer trips, you begin to feel like you are leaning forward. Leg room, is not really an issue, interestingly enough, as both front seats (and especially the passenger's seat) can be slid very, very far forward before your feet hit the firewall or pedals, and/or your knees hit the dash.

Also, it is my understanding that the change from the Quad with the suicide doors, to the one we have today with the conventional doors was done to strengthen and stiffen the cab. The presence of the B-pillar in the modern Quad Cab configuration increases the torsional strength of the cab, resisting twist and deflection under loads. (You older Quad Cab owners [suicide type] might notice this when driving over a frame-twister type obstical. Like coming out of a steep ditch onto the road at a 45 degree angle.)

Furthermore, a solid B-pillar that is always present is going to hold up better in a collision. It also provides stronger attachment point for the seat belts than a floor-mounted belt that is routed behind the back of seat itself.

Aside from those, a stronger cab that doesn't move is usually free of most creeks and groans, can be more tightly sealed, and better isolated from the frame. Cutting NVH levels is a must in today's market.

I'm sure if my understanding is wrong on any of this, Bob will let us know.

From what I can tell, the only downsides to the current Quad vs. the suicide version is a slight increase in weight of the cab, and a small loss of interior space. In some cases, the suicide doors could make entry and egress slightly easier, but with the nearly 90-degree opening rear doors on the conventional set up, it's still not hard...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Also, if I am correct, you only lost 2" of bed space when the transition to the convential Quad Cab was made. Despite the 4" increase in the cab's length. I am pretty sure my '97's measure's 6'6", where as the new Quads are 6'4"...

Personally, I cannot wait for the new Crew/6'4" configuration on the 1500s. That has the right proportions and looks great on the HD Rams, glad to see them expanding it to the 1500s as well...

Should sell very well, at least around here...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Let me solve the mystery, the cab was extended 100mm, the box shortened 100mm. The only way to sell the changes was to leave the chassis complexity alone, frame mounts were moved but fuel / brake lines, propshafts, harnesses, cables etc were left alone. The thinking was as long a they could advertise a six handle on the box length customers would accept it. Also, the overall length or the truck was at the limit of being considered garageable, which was a requirement. The back angle is a compromise between leg room and seat back angle, like it or not, its better than the comfort of the previous BE model. The front swing / rear swing debate and decision was nailed down in a parking lot with an A-B mock up. Imagine the dance to load the back seat with one hand holding something, now imagine the rear door 4 inches longer, however 'Bigfoot' preferred the rear hinge. In my opinion, the slight degradation in ingress / egress clearance was worth the gamble.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
That is interesting. I personally like the conventional door the best, so I am glad y'all went that way, and I completely agree with your final statement.

And yes, the rear seat is great compared to the BEs...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts