Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators: Please move this topic accordingly. I wasn't sure where to put it.
My son-in-law has (now had...he traded for a Chevy) a 2011 Ram Big Horn 4x4 that he kept spotless. Despite all that...his rear fender wells became visibly full of rust...especially at the seam welds. He tried working with Chrysler, but to no avail. So he traded for a Chevy. He said he couldn't imagine what things looked like behind the plastic fender liners. He visits the various Ram blogs and the rust is a major complaint there also.
Man....I hope this isn't an epidemic. We don't need that.
Anybody here have any further insight on this ??

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
This topic has been discussed in a previous thread.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Damn I hope this is getting addressed by Chrysler, my younger brother just picked up his new Cummins powered Longhorn after a near six month wait for it. 2011 is way too new to see any rust at all, terrible.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
Mike, I checked the fist 6 pages of a search on "rust" and could not find it... Would you be able to find and post a link?
It's probably buried in something else. I distinctly remember Mr Sheaves discussing the issue.

Mike

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I remember an issue with the 2009 Rams and the "Chrome" front bumpers rusting, and a similar issue with the last-gen Rams with rust in the same places.

Agreed, 2011 is too new to have rust.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I remember an issue with the 2009 Rams and the "Chrome" front bumpers rusting, and a similar issue with the last-gen Rams with rust in the same places.

Agreed, 2011 is too new to have rust.
Where is the rust, was it bubbling through the exterior panel?

If I remember right where the inner and out panel are laminated could have moisture issues.

Any metal can rust, was there any time that it could have been placed in a situation that could have caused the rust.

Point is, I'm sure there are lots of details we don't know and we don't know both sides of the coin. This is not intended to to be a jab at the original poster.

Mike

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ram offers a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty against any rust-through, and a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty against outer panel rust-through.

Not sure how a 2011 wouldn't fall under either one of those....

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
The "through" is the kicker as far as the warranty goes.

Not sure what sort of "goodwill" there is on these. I know that the 2005(ish) Caravans had issues with the hoods that resulted a "goodwill" program. Mine had too many kms on it qualify.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike V. said:
Mike V., on 11 Apr 2013 - 14:33, said:
Where is the rust, was it bubbling through the exterior panel?

If I remember right where the inner and out panel are laminated could have moisture issues.

Any metal can rust, was there any time that it could have been placed in a situation that could have caused the rust.

Point is, I'm sure there are lots of details we don't know and we don't know both sides of the coin. This is not intended to to be a jab at the original poster.

Mike
No problem, Mike. I know what you mean.
It was bubbles of rust thru on the exterior 'lip' of the rear fenders. We're from Ohio so yes....we have salty roads in the winter. But he is a fanatic about keeping his vehicles clean.
I'll try to get more info or even some pics.
(and I remember the thread on rust of the earlier Rams...couldn't find it)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Usually the manufacturers' "rust" warranty only covers metal that becomes perforated. As far as the 4th Gen Rams go, I've read of more than one person discovering severe rust issues with their trucks. One person with a 2011 had the bed rot through twice near the tailgate.

However, I've noticed a lot of late 90's to present rams with severe rust/rot issues. It seems hit or miss. Some of the trucks are spotless; some have hardly any doors, bumpers or bed left. Possible QC issues with their paint/rust protection process?

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
In the mid/late 90's there were environmental law changes in the US which lead to changes in paints and processes. Certain colours were more prone than others to fail (blues and whites).

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JRS200x said:
JRS200x, on 11 Apr 2013 - 15:08, said:
If it is causing bubbling of the paint, Chrysler will fix it.
Probably so.....but it sure doesn't alter the fact that they are rusting....at an early age.
Doesn't bode well for Ram....warranty or not.
And my son-in-law was a convert too (always had Chevy's)....so not a good Ram experience for him.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Could pressure washing be the culprit, forcing water into a space that is not protected?

·
3,813 Posts
unverferth said:
Probably so.....but it sure doesn't alter the fact that they are rusting....at an early age.
Doesn't bode well for Ram....warranty or not.
And my son-in-law was a convert too (always had Chevy's)....so not a good Ram experience for him.
Agreed but i've sold hundreds of Rams since their debut in 2011 and haven't had a single customer return with a complaint of Rust.

Remember, you are dealing with metal, it CAN rust. I have seen Honda's rust, I have seen LOTS of Toyotas rust (Tacoma especially), cripes i had a mercedes here the other day with rust issues. Errors are made occasionally in the building of a vehicle and stuff like this can happen, but it isn't widespread or common. Do I wish it didn't happen at all? Absolutely, but at the same time I am realistic.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Good posts, something seems really out of place for it to happen to a 2011... And I don't understand why it wouldn't be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Jeff2KPatriotBlue said:
The "through" is the kicker as far as the warranty goes.

Not sure what sort of "goodwill" there is on these. I know that the 2005(ish) Caravans had issues with the hoods that resulted a "goodwill" program. Mine had too many kms on it qualify.
Wasn't just 2005 . I had a 2004 and still have a 2007 and they both started rotting thru the hood and rear hatch in about 4 years . I see tons of the 2002-07 caravans with completely rusted thru hood edges . Looks pretty sad and does nothing for the quality issue impression people have of Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts