Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wreaking yard, original OEM replacement is easiest. Aftermarket Dana 44 would be cool with upgraded gears and a locker...$$$ Very important to know your gear set (e.g. 3.55:1) You probably have a cooperate 8 3/4. Clean the diff off so you can read the tag on it to get some info. There are guys on this forum that know this info right off the top of there head. Good luck digging.

Welcome to Allpar, Is this a project truck, would be cool to see some pics.

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
The only thing that's going to be a direct replacement is an 87-90 Dakota (the axle is an 8.25" Chrysler corporate axle). It also needs to be from another 4x4 Dakota and you have to match the gear ratio to your front axle (3.21, 3.55, 3.90).

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I believe its a corporate 8 1/4" rear.

Some swap ford Explorer 8.8" diffs complete, they have the same 4.5" wheel bolt circle.

There are kits to put them in Jeeps, not sure about Dakotas.

As mentioned, one needs to get a compatible axle ratio.

The 8.8 is normally inexpensive and much stronger.

Thanks
Randy

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Rebuild, you know what you have and what you will get.
- all the parts is easily obtainable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate everyone for a pretty quick response honestly didn't know if anyone would even reply to my question. Now to make myself look pretty clearly uneducated in the dodge world I was mistaken by the year of the truck it's actually an 95 so from what I can gather by reading various articles I have several options granted the ratio matches that of the front I have several old scrap cars and trucks of just about every make laying j=iiii7iaround

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
So for 1995, again all axles for the 4WD are 8.25", with the available ratios of 3.21, 3.55, and 3.90.
These newer ones use 6 lugs, which limits the direct interchange range to 1991-1996.
If you try anything else, you'll be fabricating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry for not responding to you I 90 Pollo
So for 1995, again all axles for the 4WD are 8.25", with the available ratios of 3.21, 3.55, and 3.90.
These newer ones use 6 lugs, which limits the direct interchange range to 1991-1996.
If you try anything else, you'll be fabricating.
Thank you is there any other vehicle I could rob one out of such as a Durango or I've read somewhere about Ford may work.

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
I'm sorry for not responding to you I 90 Pollo

Thank you is there any other vehicle I could rob one out of such as a Durango or I've read somewhere about Ford may work.
Durango, not easily. Durango is like the post-96 Dakota. not the pre-96 Dakota. Durango mounts the leaf springs under the rear axle, but your Dakota mounts the axle under the springs, Plus shock mounts are different. So you'd be cutting off and rewelding perches and shock mounts.
You might get a Ford 8.8 to work, but again you'll be fabbing spring perches and shock mounts. And that assumes a Ford rear can be found with the same gears as yours. And you end up with different front and rear wheels because the Ford bolt pattern is different.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
As previously mentioned Ford Explorer 8.8's are commonly swapped into Jeeps with a 4.5" bolt circle.

I'm pretty sure the 1989 Dakota shares the same 5 on 4.5" bolt circle as Explorer and some Jeeps.

Some Ford 8.8's were 3.55 and some Dakotas were as well.

I'm not sure if any other ratios match.

Thanks
Randy
Durango, not easily. Durango is like the post-96 Dakota. not the pre-96 Dakota. Durango mounts the leaf springs under the rear axle, but your Dakota mounts the axle under the springs, Plus shock mounts are different. So you'd be cutting off and rewelding perches and shock mounts.
You might get a Ford 8.8 to work, but again you'll be fabbing spring perches and shock mounts. And that assumes a Ford rear can be found with the same gears as yours. And you end up with different front and rear wheels because the Ford bolt pattern is different.

·
Super Moderator
37,851 Posts
As previously mentioned Ford Explorer 8.8's are commonly swapped into Jeeps with a 4.5" bolt circle.

I'm pretty sure the 1989 Dakota shares the same 5 on 4.5" bolt circle as Explorer and some Jeeps.

Some Ford 8.8's were 3.55 and some Dakotas were as well.

I'm not sure if any other ratios match.

Thanks
Randy
If it was indeed a 1989 Dakota the bolt pattern would have matched. But he changed and said it really is a 1995 Dakota. So the bolt patterns no longer match between the Dakota and a Ford 8.8.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I guess I missed that part, old age hasn't been kind!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts