Allpar Forums banner

Rear Vent Window Stalk Issue

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  ryanov 
#1 ·
Hi all -- appreciate any ideas you have about this and I'm sure someone has had this problem/one like this before.

Some kids broke my rear right vent window. I took it to a glass company (that I wouldn't use again -- very poor work) and they replaced it. It looks like in the process, they took the stalk that moves the window in and out and separated it (there appears to be a pole in the piece on the window side that hooks into a hole on the stalk side). However, when they re-attached it, they did a lousy job with adhesive or something, or damaged it in the process. Yesterday I had the vents open and a rumble strip in a corporate driveway rattled the thing loose again so the window flaps. I've crazy-glued it back together a few times but it keeps separating. My mechanic doesn't want to mess with it -- he says it's not his area of expertise.

Any idea about what would be the least trouble and get this thing back attached? Either a replacement (though I don't know how to get the piece off the window that's currently on there), or some adhesive that will actually work?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The electric power vent window motor has a male splined shaft that fits into a female spline on the glass side latch. I don't think that adhesive will hold. You want to see what side the splines are damaged on and replace that component(s).
Used parts should be available at a salvage yard or Pick n' Pull.

#4 ·
What year is your van, Ryanov? I just had to remove the rear trim pieces in my hatch to get to my rear vent motor because the vent window wasn't working. I removed the trim pieces and the motor and cleaned it up and it works great now. To remove it from the window, I had to remove the two 10mm mounting bolts and wire plug. Then, I just rotated it counter clockwise and it unscrewed. To put it back on, I just rotated it clockwise until it was snug and reattached the bolts and plug. To remove the trim, you have to take the jack out and remove either 3 or 4 screws that attach it. After that, it's just a matter of popping it loose. You have to partially remove the upper tailgate trim too, but it's just a pop fit with clips.

#5 ·
It's a 2000 -- sorry I forgot to mention. Really it looks like both sides are damaged (but I can't find a photo of an intact one anywhere to confirm it). So it's bolted to the window somehow, not stuck to the window? Basically the side that's on the window looks like a circle with part of what looks like a metal screw coming out of the center of it (where I gather there's supposed to be a hole), and on the motor side, there's also a circular piece attached that mates up with the piece on the window. I suppose it's possible that both of the circular pieces are supposed to be on the window side. I guess I could try messing with the other window to see what it's supposed to look like when it's not damaged.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Here's the video I used as a reference, Ryanov. Of course, mine is a 99, so the way it attaches to the window is different. Like I said, It just unscrewed in the usual counter clockwise manner. Very simple. The rest is the same as in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSN3eAxCIA

#9 ·
OK, so this sort of clarifies it for me at least: the piece that's broken is completely the piece on the window. It appears to be in two pieces, with some of it still stuck to the window and some of it still attached to the motor. I've not seen anyplace that references how to deal with the piece on the window. So I'll look at the piece on the window. I guess a yard way well have one. Is the window stud portion the same on the power and non-power window vans?

#10 ·
I don't know about that. I doubt it, but if you have a salvage yard close, you may just want to look at both and compare them. If it's a pick and pull yard, if you make a mistake and break one, no big deal. Just move on to the next one, right?

#11 ·
Yeah, I checked. It's definitely the piece on the window that is screwed up. The left hand/non-broken one looks like there is a sticky pad or something underneath, the circular shaped thing, and then that is clipped onto the motor piece that was shown in the Dorman photo. The broken one looks like maybe they took the sticky pad that attaches to the window, used some sort of gray adhesive or something to glue that back onto the window, and then attempted to glue that back to the circular part. Maybe they didn't know that it unscrewed and they broke it off the broken window. Don't know. I'm guessing from what chuzz said, one part of the piece that attaches to the window is something with glue on it and a screw in the center of it and you're supposed to screw the piece that clips to the motor onto that.

#13 ·
Thanks, that sure does look like it. I've not been able to figure out what the heck to call it so far! Any idea how it attaches to the window? I assume adhesive or something.

Curious that they all say left! Searching for the right one doesn't appear to turn anything up.

#14 ·
ryanov said:
Thanks, that sure does look like it. I've not been able to figure out what the heck to call it so far! Any idea how it attaches to the window? I assume adhesive or something.

Curious that they all say left! Searching for the right one doesn't appear to turn anything up.
It is called the rear window retainer. It appears that the part is symetrical, meaning it will work on the left or the right side. The adhesive is probably the same as the windshield mirror button adhesive. Getting the old piece off may be tough. Placement is critical, and there is a dark "bulls eye" in the glass (black disc area) that you use to center the retainer on. Perhaps obtaining the piece and having a glass company install it might be a good idea. They probably have a chemical to remove the old adhesive and get the broken piece off.... and may be able to install the new piece precisely with the correct adhesive.

#15 ·
Nice find, John. I agree that if there's a glass replacement place close by, he should probably let them handle it. If not, it looks like a challenge. Just be sure to mark the location with some type of marker before you try to remove it. I've used a Sharpie in the past to mark locations of the dreaded rear view mirror mount and they always wipe off with glass cleaner and a paper towel.

#16 ·
To be honest, if those jokers from the glass replacement place I went to put it on the window, it shouldn't be hard to get it off. But I will feel it out. Thanks for the help, all of you. Looks like I'm where I need to be. I'm also glad to confirm that making a trip to the yard likely wouldn't help before having made one. Would seem you'd probably need a new part, or some assistance removing it from the old window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.