Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 2006 T&C Touring (Signature Edition).

My rear view mirror is no longer receiving power (Uconnect, auto-dimmer, etc).

Does anyone know which fuse controls this? It's not clear to me on the fuse panel.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
Wow. I must be old, a mirror has a fuse.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
Wow. I must be old, a mirror has a fuse.
The modern mirrors have auto-dimmers that are controlled electronically - hence a possible fuse. Our 2010 Journey SXT has an auto-dimmer whereas my Ram does not. Even our old 2000 T&C Ltd minivan had a auto-dimmer way back when.

From our 2010 Journey owner's manual:

Automatic Dimming Mirror — If Equipped
This mirror automatically adjusts for headlight glare
from vehicles behind you. You can turn the feature on or
off by pressing the button at the base of the mirror.Alight
next to the button will illuminate to indicate when the
dimming feature is activated.

Not to mention the outside mirrors on both our vehicles are controlled electronically and are heated so, yeah, mirrors can require a fuse of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
Auto dimmer needs power and the U-connect microphone on the mirror does too. Sorry I have no fuse info for the Pacifica though.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
AUTOMATIC DAY / NIGHT MIRROR

For circuit descriptions and diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin-out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.
1. Check the fuse in the intelligent power module. If OK, go to Step #2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fuse in the intelligent power module. If OK, go to Step #3. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.
3. Unplug the wire harness connector from the automatic day/night mirror. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step #4. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block as required.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step #5. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground as required.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Set the parking brake. Place the transmission gear selector lever in the Reverse position. Check for battery voltage at the backup lamp switch output circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector. If voltage is present, reinstall the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector and go to Step #6. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
6. Place the transmission gear selector lever in the Neutral position. Place the automatic day/night mirror switch in the On (LED in the switch is lighted) position. Cover the forward facing ambient photocell sensor to keep out any ambient light.

NOTE: The ambient photocell sensor must be covered completely, so that no light reaches the sensor. Use a finger pressed tightly against the sensor, or cover the sensor completely with electrical tape.
7. Shine a light into the rearward facing headlamp photocell sensor. The automatic day/night mirror should darken. The automatic day/night mirror should darken within 2 minutes if testing for the first time. For immediate response, turn the vehicle OFF and back ON with the forward-facing light sensor still covered. This defeats the day-detect logic. If OK, go to Step #8. If not OK, replace the faulty mirror unit.
8. With the mirror darkened, place the transmission gear selector lever in the Reverse position. The automatic day/night mirror should return to its normal reflectance. If not OK, replace the faulty mirror unit.
Bench testing both mirrors can be done, of care is exercised. For an inside mirror, the pin closest to he mount is 12V (+), the next is 12V (-). The third is reverse override. The fourth is outside mirror (+), and the fifth is outside mirror (-). Do not apply 12 volts to the fourth and fifth pins. With 12 volts on pins 1 and 2, the mirror can be tested by blocking the rear sensor and shining a light into the forward sensor. For an outside mirror, there is a 2-pin connector. Applying 1.2 volts will cause the mirror to dim. If the mirror does not dim, the entire glass assembly can be replaced just as it is when the glass is broken.

WARNING: Do not apply 12 volts to the outside mirror. Damage to the mirror will result.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to fix the problem. First, I disconnected both battery connections, touched them together and pressed the brake several times. I left them touching for about 10 minutes.

I then removed the bezel surrounding the radio/HVAC controls to check all the connections. I replaced the DVD changer several weeks ago, and even though the Uconnect system worked fine until recently, I wanted to make sure all the connections were snug.

Then I examined all the fuses - the 20 amp (10D I believe) showed some whitish corrosion on the blades which I cleaned.

I can't say for sure which remedy fixed the problem, but my guess is the battery.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts