Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with my rear wiper? The blade actuates but it cleans only 50% of the arc. As if the blade is straight on a curved glass. A new blade did not help and it seems like thre is planty of tension to press the blade against the glass. Happens in the summer as well as the winter (the summer heat should make the rubber more pliable). The problem seems so simple yet is confounding me.
I can only think tha the arm is not putting enough pressure on the outside tip of the blade so that when it reaches vertical, the tip area loses contact. This would also coincide with the greatest curvature experienced by the blade. I think this is correct so another inspection of the arm is warranted (But it looks good with no hinderances).

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
The spring loaded arm pivot that holds the blade firmly against the glass may be binding from dirt, rust or corrosion. You should ba able to pull the arm away from the glass and it should firmly slap back against the glass when released. If it hangs up or binds, try lubricating the arm pivot with penetrant or light oil. Work the pivot a few times until it frees up. This may have to be done every winter or so as a matter of maintenance.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imperial, that was my first thought and insured that it had the force to slap onto the glass. When looking at the arc the closer to the pivot, the better the wiping so the problem is not in the spring-loaded joint at the pivot but in the articulated wiper arm itself (at least in my opinion). And this seems to operate with no effort to bend it. I have tried both ways; buying just the wiper blade and then buying the entire arm plus wiper blade. And I get no satisfaction. My 89 had no problem since the glass was flat.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Some aftermarket wiper blades may be too stiff and not conform to the slight curvature of the glass? Stiff winter blades especially miss areas on a curved glass. Maybe a nice pliable beam-style wiper uni-blade?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, one would think that the mfr (like Trico) which specifies their particular wiper for the van would meet the requirements of wiping the window. I could understand if I installed a part that was not compatible with the curvature.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
All the blade manufacturers care about is the blade size and attachment type to say it will fit. I had the same problem on my '97, if I used a winter blade, it didn't work. A regular blade would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts