Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
This is a very variable question and just about impossible to put a dollar amount on. New, remanufactured or used?
Due to the precise tolerances and special tools involved, individual replacement pieces aren't recommended.
Which turbo? There was stage I, II and III.
Check Google?
What is wrong with the old one? Seized, noisy or blowing oil?

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 90 TC and they said it is blowing black smoke so I am thinking it must have something to do with oil.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Black smoke is usually too rich a mixture, which is nothing to do with the turbo. Oil smoke is blue or bluish-gray. Look for other causes first.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do you think could be wrong with the car the owner keeps saying it is the turbo, which they say would cost $300 to fix.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
Which engine? If it's the Turbo II, it's a conventional Chrysler turbo engine. All kinds of things could make it run rich: O2 sensor, excess fuel pressure, bad coolant temp sensor, etc. I think the car should support the normal key dance error codes. I don't see how a bad turbo would cause black smoke (as Bob mentioned).
There was also a 2.2 with a Maserati head - very expensive if it ever needs head work.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the standard 2.2 turbo. The owner must think they are a expert because they keep saying it is the turbo.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
The turbo could be bad, but the turbo alone can't account for black smoke so there's more than just the turbo at issue here.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If the turbo was completely locked up, you could have drivability problems and possibly black smoke (?) but I agree that you're going to need more troubleshooting. Blue smoke could be any of a myriad of problems; blown rings, PCV issues, leaking valve seals-- OR a blown turbo seal. I think the owner may not necessarily know what he/she is talking about. In this case, I would call buying the car off until I had seen it smoking and done the key dance on it myself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Or you could get a rebuilt turbo thru one of the TD vendors for $500 with no core. If the turbo is really bad, that's the route I would go. Also check some of the vaccume lines. If some are broken that could cause the car spit black smoke out. I had that problem with my 87 GLHS, black smoke at idle, finally replace every single vac line and it went away.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still working with this guy and he said it is not driveable because the turbo is not spooling ?????

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
It should still be drivable even with a locked up turbo, if that's what the problem is. It would drive pretty much like a regular EFI car would feel like. You can try to turn the turbo vane wheel with your finger with the inlet hose off and the engine off.
If it is oil smoke or rich mixture would have to be determined.
It is tough to change the turbo with the head on the car as it is on the back of the motor. You may want to pull the whole head and turbo assembly to service the turbo. If that is in fact what has happened here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts