Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 GC 3.3L needs rears. Will there a noticeable performance & overall life difference between two friction types such as Raybestos Service Grade vs Performance grade for 70% HWY driving average load and NO towing involved?

Your thoughts...

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Performance grade may be a harder lining and give a harder pedal. They may also be harder on rotors. Both are probably quite safe in daily street use. Why wouldn't you consider the benefits of Ceramic linings?

·
Registered
517 Posts
IC,

I extensively researched pros and cons of ceramic v semi-metallic pads online and came up with the conclusion that s-m are far superior to ceramic for us everyday drivers.

I'm open to be convinced otherwise!

·
Registered
67 Posts
for most vehicles it's kind of a toss up. A cheap pad is a crappy pad regardless of material. I run all Ceramics on my 2000 with no issues, and rack up a lot of highway and city miles on them. the only time ceramics are going to be a real issue is heavy towing in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. What my training taught me was that ceramic pads arent as good as dissipating heat as other materials. So basically they'll run hotter than other pads and cant cool as quickly.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ceramic has less dust, no? Somebody put semi-metallic on my Sebring before I bought it... OE Spec was Ceramic.. Constant black dust on my rims no matter what..

·
Registered
67 Posts
browens1534 said:
Ceramic has less dust, no? Somebody put semi-metallic on my Sebring before I bought it... OE Spec was Ceramic.. Constant black dust on my rims no matter what..
that is one very big plus of ceramics too. They keep wheels from looking like crud

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've never had a wheel dust problem on any vehicle? Curious about what causes it. Is it mostly caused by cheap pads?

I would use ceramic if original but nothing I own used them.

I don't do a lot of heavy duty driving with my Dodges, our long trips are in our '66 GMC bus conversion.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Ceramic pads may very well make as much dust as the others. It is just a much lighter colored dust and isn't as visible.
Pad material or sticking sliders or pad mounts can vary the amount of dust. Metallic pad dust is very black.
I think that is why whitewall tires just aren't popular anymore. :lol:
There is an incredible amount of pad material choices and advertising claims on the market.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
ImperialCrown said:
Ceramic pads may very well make as much dust as the others. It is just a much lighter colored dust and isn't as visible.
Pad material or sticking sliders or pad mounts can vary the amount of dust. Metallic pad dust is very black.
There is an incredible amount of pad material choices and advertising claims on the market.
I can live with the "dust" so long as the brakes "work". I use Wagner semimetallic on my Ram. Not sure what Firestone put on our Journey (now with 60K miles), but the front wheels don't get anywhere near the dust as the rears (still OEM pads).

Even the raised white lettering on my tires gets "dirty" from the brake dust. Have to use Beche White to clean them every few weeks.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided on raybestos sgd 730 pads and shoes.

ImperialCrown said:
Doug D said:
I can live with the "dust" so long as the brakes "work". I use Wagner semimetallic on my Ram. Not sure what Firestone put on our Journey (now with 60K miles), but the front wheels don't get anywhere near the dust as the rears (still OEM pads).

Even the raised white lettering on my tires gets "dirty" from the brake dust. Have to use Beche White to clean them every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I do remember with early ceramic pads not working too well until they warm up. Is this still an issue? Or have they improved the ceramic pads?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts