Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I’m new here. Stumbled on this site via google and have found this to be the best resource I’ve seen.
little backstory- my dad passed and left me his late model 03 PT Cruiser. Unfortunately, it hadn’t been well cared for for years as his health declined. I’ve decided to fix it and have it around as a “cruiser” (pun intended) or a backup vehicle.
It’s at 98k miles and the timing belt had not been replaced, so that’s where I’m at now.

My question is how to get the flange off the back of the redi sleeve? I’m installing them on both the camshafts and the crankshaft in situ.
Is my assumption correct that I need to pull the intake manifold/valve cover etc to get access to remove the flanges? I’ve attached a photo of 1 of the camshafts. Thank you all I’m advance
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flange is basically touching the casting that holds the cams down. The only way to get to the flange to remove it is to pull the valve cover off and remove that casting. On the crank, I’d have to pull the oil pan and the other casting on the outside of the block. The reason I got the sleeves was because I nicked one one of the camshaft surfaces removing the old oil seal. When I pulled everything apart, there was oil in the timing area, so I thought it would be good practice to put the redi-sleeves on the shafts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grab it with a plier and tear it off.
- but is that really necessary in this case, cant the seal be mounted so it doesent interfere with flange?
Is the shafts so badly scored after "just" 160 k miles so that this is really necessary, is it possibel to shim the seal so it rides a bit longer out away from eny wear ridges? ( "dont tap it all the way in" )
The flange would rub against the camshaft “hold down” casting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts