Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I had a set of those Keystone Klassics along with B.F. Goodrich T/A radials on my 70 Dart Swinger. 318 engine. It was green with a white top. Loved that car but it had a rear main seal leak and I had my own business at the time working 80 hour weeks. I let my girlfriend use it to drive back and forth to college and asked her to check the oil every other day. She didn't and when I went over to visit that weekend, it had a rod knocking. I got rid of her and the car. Traded the car in on a 78 Dodge150 long bed pickup. That thing was a gas hog!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Our family had a 1974 AMC Ambassador brougham sedan. I bought an electronic ignition module at Montgomery Ward that replaced the points and condenser. That was "high tech" for back then. ;)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Monkey Wards!
"Montgomery Ward was called “Monkey Wards” by some people because it reportedly once offered exotic monkeys in some of its stores and through its mail-order catalog. Today, the store's website features a Monkey Wards page where customers can shop and place orders for many of the retailer's popular items."

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,902 Posts
Sold many recaps with fairly good results. Not the best for very hot climates. Even sold tires with Butyl rubber tread. Really rode good but life wasn't that great.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I used to peruse the ladies lingerie section of the Monkey Wards catalog when I was a teen ager. I'm sure some of the rest of you guys did too, if you were honest about it! LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
Retread/recapped tires for passenger cars have pretty much disappeared with cheap China and other Asian sourced brand new tires. I do remember them from some of the beater cars I had in the 1970's as cheaper than new or even some used tires. They were often terrible in wet and icy weather conditions, hot weather. I did buy some as snow tires to save some money. Most retread/recap/regroovable tires today are used on non-steering axles of trucks, buses and trailers. Of course they do often fail and can be a danger to other drivers when come off.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I agree with Leon about the failure of retreads on big rigs. I've seen it happen multiple times and have even been hit by flying chunks. Personally, I'd love to see them outlawed all together.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,902 Posts
I agree with Leon about the failure of retreads on big rigs. I've seen it happen multiple times and have even been hit by flying chunks. Personally, I'd love to see them outlawed all together.
I have been hit twice with complete failed treads. One of them damaged my grille, front bumper cover, hood, windshield and a ding in the roof. Almost all failures of that type are caused by overheating from low tire pressure or overloading. A lot off those tires on the side include a lot of trailer tires that fail from old age because nobody checks them and add low pressure and you have an explosion coming up. Having sold many recaps, a quality recap seldom fails when treated properly. They are not allowed on a semi's steering for safety reasons as that takes a lot of the side forces.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,078 Posts
I had retreads on my '65 Dart when I was a teenager in HS. Could never get them to balance good.

Finally, Dad let me use his credit card to get new tires (I had to pay him back). What a difference.

I'd rather purchase lightly used tires than retreads (are they even available for passenger vehicles?). In fact, for my '90 Acclaim I did at one point purchase used tires. As I recall it was $178 for 4 tires mounted and balanced at a local tire shop. I forget what brand tire they were, but they wore well.

·
Super Moderator
40,021 Posts
My father would always buy new tires for the summer, but in winter he always had two of the old summer tires retreaded by the local Firestone dealer with their Town & Country winter treads. Those tires were great in the winter and he always made it to work in a RWD car.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,902 Posts
I had retreads on my '65 Dart when I was a teenager in HS. Could never get them to balance good.

Finally, Dad let me use his credit card to get new tires (I had to pay him back). What a difference.

I'd rather purchase lightly used tires than retreads (are they even available for passenger vehicles?). In fact, for my '90 Acclaim I did at one point purchase used tires. As I recall it was $178 for 4 tires mounted and balanced at a local tire shop. I forget what brand tire they were, but they wore well.
My boss had a policy that any tire that took more than 2 ounces to balance (NEW OR RETREAD) would be removed and sent back to the vendor. We used an Alemite spin balancer that could spin a tire up to 100 and the balance was done on the car with even the hubcap on. It used a magnet to attach the sensor to the suspension and a strobe to point out the place weight was needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts