Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if there was an easy way to remove the center piece from the outer trim ring on this style of trunk locks:

Reason being is that I would like to create a mold for it and mold it in clear plastic to match the crystal pentastars.

I took a really beat up one apart trying to figure if there was a good way to get it loose but I pretty much cracked the piece in half trying to.

Any help or ideas would be great, thanks.

Oh, and I'm also going to be casting a crystal one for a Dynasty grill, the trunk locks happen to be the perfect size for the grills.

I'm very fond of hood ornaments and the New Yorker grills in general, but I'm a little more fond of the Dodge crosshair grills and think that with a crystal center star, it would look pretty nice.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
You probably can't remove it. at least without breaking it. Maybe heat might soften whatever glue was used and increase the chance of it coming apart in one piece.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I hadn't thought of that and it did the trick. thanks.

It's glued on by the 3m doublesided trim tape stuff, and although I heated it a bit too much and melted the front piece a tad, I'm going to sand it out anyway to get the corners sharper for the mold.

I'll update with the process and results once I'm done, it'll be a really nice touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts