Allpar Forums banner

Removing the WIM (Durango WD) - loose but won't come out

628 3
I need to remove the WIM from a Durango WD. So far I've removed the gauge cluster, radio/trim and the driver's lower dash. I removed two 8mm screws from the back, and now the module is a little loose. However, it won't come out of the dash. I know it's held into a larger plastic bracket with 4 screws at the front, but I can't access these with the ignition/start stop button bezel attached.

can't see any section on removing this in the shop manual I have, and can't spot anything obvious with a mirror and flashlight. My best guess is that this chrome ring and bezel unclips from the front, then the module is removed from the back. However I see no way to access or release the clips.

Anyone know the proper way to do this without breaking the trim ring? thank you

Automotive design Finger Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,276 Posts
This is the 2012? From time to time a used factory manual disc shows up on ebay, etc. A 2012 disc would probably still require Internet Explorer to read. All copyrighted factory service publications are available from TechAuthority.
Disconnect the battery neg(-) terminal & follow cautions/warnings when working with Airbags. The WIN module comes out from underneath.

Font Parallel Screenshot Document Paper product

Font Line Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Attachments

Reactions: Sterran

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, apologies for the late reply. The diagrams were a big help in removing the trim panels. The WIM itself was a real pain but I got it.

Unfortunately I broke one of the tabs on the ignition switch trim ring. I think I can repair it though. You need to pry the start button trim ring up and use a fine pick tool to release the three clips. One at the 6 o'clock position, and two smaller ones at about 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

In fact in hindsight, I don't know that you need to remove the WIM to remove the trim ring....

I'm doing this to refinish the chrome trim ring around the start button - don't need to do anything with the WIM other than reinstall it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts