Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the article:

Some analysts look for Renault to seek a partnership with Mercedes, not least because it does have current cooperation projects. Daimler has a 3.1% share in both Renault and Nissan, and Renault and Nissan each hold 1.55% in Daimler. Daimler has since split its truck division off leaving Mercedes-Benz as the car and vans entity.

Last week Renault reported a net loss of €8 billion ($9.7 billion), slightly more than the horrifying €7.85 billion average loss already forecast by analysts, as its business was torpedoed by the coronavirus pandemic-induced lock-down last year. Things aren’t going to get better anytime soon.

Full article here:

Renault’s Uncertain Outlook Might Ease The Way For Mercedes Deal (forbes.com)

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
Did thestaff at the Mercedes board are that suicidal? Are they ready to sleep with Renault without a 10 foot stick?
They are very good at stealing and leaving.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are very good at stealing and leaving.
It is not the first time that the Germans have raped and pillaged the French.......

(sorry, I could not resist)

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Renault has nothing to offer Mercedes at this point. Their I4 engines aren't welcome given the focus on EVs and Mercedes already has a small car EV plan set in place for 2025.

Further, this is not the time for Mercedes to be cozying up to basket cases like Renault and potentially becoming weakened considering MB is perpetually under threat of increased Chinese investment.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Further, this is not the time for Mercedes to be cozying up to basket cases like Renault and potentially becoming weakened considering MB is perpetually under threat of increased Chinese investment.
Maybe that's the plan. Between 2 evils, Renault seems for them, the less evil of the two and they use Renault as a "buffer zone" against China.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It is not the first time that the Germans have raped and pillaged the French.......

(sorry, I could not resist)
Thanks for bringing this up. It means I get to dig some more into the history of things. The same problem predates Roman Gaul, was largely suppressed by Charlemagne, and maintained by the Treaty of Verdun, and the Oaths of Strasbourg, but fell apart when Lothar I, grandson of Charlemagne, Emperor of the Frankish Roman Empire, passed, and had his Middle Francia kingdom broken up. Lotharingia, mostly modern Lorraine, had been a bone of contention ever since. It was really Napoleon who, with the nationalization of wars using the levee en masse of national armies, set France against Germany in the popular conceptualization, and created the strong national emnities between nations that largely did not exist as such in earlier times. This created the conditions that enabled Prussia and Bismarck to create the modern German state, essentially to protect against France and the Hapsburg monarchy. Unfortunately, the Prussians are perhaps the worst sort of German to be in charge of a nation state, given the results. Ironically, the Hohenzollern monarchs (the German Kaisers of the late German Empire) were Swabian. The Swabian branch remained Catholic. Apparently, one branch of the Hohenzollern line were the last monarchs of Romania.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts