Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are barely breaking zero and the message system lit up with plug in engine heater

does the renegade have one?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,674 Posts
Canadian vehicles have block heaters. It may be optional in the U.S.
The cord is usually bundled up and stowed by the battery if it has one. See your owners manual.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Soon some vehicles in Canada will not be assembled with a block heater. Some models will keep it as standard equipment. It will be a dealer install add-on. I'm trying to find my source.
Source found.
· Jeep Compass
· Jeep Cherokee
· Jeep Wrangler
· Jeep Gladiator
· Jeep Grand Cherokee (2-row)
· Jeep Grand Cherokee L (3-row)
· Chrysler 300
· Chrysler Pacifica (Nothing is said about hybrid.)
· Chrysler Grand Caravan
· Dodge Challenger
· Dodge Charger

I'm going to give a list of the part numbers to the Parts Manager. Going to need at least four. Get them on hand.
Second edit: This was sent Dec 8th.2021.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Canadian vehicles have block heaters. It may be optional in the U.S.
The cord is usually bundled up and stowed by the battery if it has one. See your owners manual.
Thanks
I’ve never heard of it for a gas engine

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,095 Posts
Thanks
I’ve never heard of it for a gas engine
It's been an option on most cars - dealers rarely get them. They used to be very common in Wisconsin and other northern states.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It's been an option on most cars - dealers rarely get them. They used to be very common in Wisconsin and other northern states.
Agree. They were very common here in Wisconsin back when it was common for houses to have uninsulated, detached garages. My 1985 Chevy Celebrity had one. I rarely used it, but it did help in that stretch of winter where the highs might make it into the single digits above zero Fahrenheit and my car had to sit outside without even the uninsulated detached garage to block the wind.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
My -98 durango had it, it was originally sold in canada.
The plug was hanging besides the radiator, sadly it was a 110v unit so i couldnt use it on our 240 v grid.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,095 Posts
Agree. They were very common here in Wisconsin back when it was common for houses to have uninsulated, detached garages. My 1985 Chevy Celebrity had one. I rarely used it, but it did help in that stretch of winter where the highs might make it into the single digits above zero Fahrenheit and my car had to sit outside without even the uninsulated detached garage to block the wind.
I've always tried to order one with a new car but never was able to, in one case they said it would add 60 days to the delivery time, in another they said it wasn't available in our region though it was in the order books. Today they're not needed, admittedly, but in the days before relatively cheap synthetic oil...

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
In sweden they are installed at the dealerships, usually Defa or Calix as a supplier.
- most people also get an an outlet för a cabin heater inside the coupe.
I would say that around 505 of swedish cars have it with fewer in the south and much higher in the north.
- its a great thing to have.

Reactions: Morty

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,674 Posts
Does Mopar offer a block and battery heaters for (export) 240 volt mains? Or are they 3rd party items?

I noted that the Pacifica Hybrid's charging time is cut considerably when using 240 v @ twice the current:
Font Number

·
Registered
11 Posts
The multi-air engines (1.5L Turbo and 2.4L Tigershark) need to have oil flow to operate the intake valves, so when it gets cold the car tells you to block in the block heater.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,895 Posts
I used to have a Datsun 1300 pickup and at night I would plug in before going to bed during the winter in Western WA and had a timer that would come on 3 hours before I would go to work. Stepped out of the house and unplugged, opened the door to defrosted windows, turned the key and started and had instant heat and the engine was half way warmed up. How sweet it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts