Allpar Forums banner

Replace my 2.7l with a 440

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  pbrutsche 
#1 ·
Major question is other than difficulty level what is suggested to make work. I’ve always had help with any project but I’ve lost my building buddy. My father was the greatest teacher but even he would’ve told me this was crazy. I want to Install a 440 rv motor into my dodge magnum 2.7l factory everything. So any real suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Thank you
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you exempt from emissions testing? You will likely cut your fuel economy in half.
The insurance company may not want to insure you if they find out.
Look for a Hemi Magnum.

Reactions: Tony K
#4 ·
Original question was what all would anyone suggest I used. Type of rear end, tranny, driveshaft ect. Reasons won’t make sense to anyone. my dad past away,the 440 is from rv family trips and the Sentimental value in the motor itself. The pride my father had and keeping that motor going how he never had a problem with it and how strong it was just like him. that’s why I wanna do this project. I honestly love my Dodge Magnum there’s nothing wrong with original motor tranny is good I wanna incorporate it into the car that I drive every day

#7 ·
This is one of those “if you have to ask how, you probably can’t do it” jobs. You’ll be making custom engine and transmission mounts, custom fuel tank, custom driveshaft, custom cooling, and you’ll have to rewire electronics for the entire car including custom gauges and all the accessories, custom brakes, etc. Lots of custom work and lots of money.

#8 ·
I'm guessing it's a high 4 to low 5 figure project unless you can do it yourself. Then you have the problem of registration, plates, and insurance. Highly suggest you do your homework on this part first, because nothing is worse than being told you spent copious time and possibly money on a project for nothing because it's not street legal...unless you don't care about it being streetable.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln
#9 ·
I’ll imagine the width of the engine alone will cause you to cut out the front suspension. Really, the only way I see this working is if this is a drag car. Maybe make it mid engine?
Junkyard Dave on YouTube melded a 392 charger and magnum together. That was sick! But not your fathers 440…

#11 ·
I'd be concerned about that craptastic front suspension on an LX. A 440 would probably weigh close to twice that of a 2.7, so you'd have to convert it all over to the 2016+ Hellcat/Pursuit suspension, which would destroy any semblance of a good ride. If you could find a late ('78) 36RH/727 trans with lockup, and run the same Hellcat/Pursuit 2.62 rear, you'd have a nice Cruiser. Since the car is already SMPI, use the appropriate EFI intake. I believe MA has at least a few articles concerning RB engines and fuel infection conversions. If you're really intending to go platinum with this project, run a TQ and Mopar ignition.

Exhaust will be the worst of it. I can't imagine what would actually fit, as there's barely enough room in there for the little Hemi V8's as it is (AWD even worse). Anything would be cobbled and would leak and sound horrible. You want to hear that deep TQ roar, not uncontrollable flatulence from a lousy exhaust.

Overall, good idea, but the LX is a poor candidate. Find something like a decent Aspen/Volare coupe and terrorize the neighborhood with that 440.

#12 ·
A number of yours ago while still with Chrysler while I had access to all the lhand lx catia files I went through and did syck a project on an lh 300 no real biggie for me since I knew bothcars intimately. Although I used a 426 not the 440.getting the crank centerline low enough to close the hood and still clear the valve covers required a drysump oil system and custom formed oilpan windage tray was not possible to fit crank counterw3eights interfeerd with k member and side rails.

#15 ·
I wish you well with the project. My first thoughts are all the electrical wiring. The first thing would be to remove 10 miles of wiring out of the existing car, then rewire it for the 440/trans of choice.
Thats not a bad thing in my opinion.
You just know that none of the factory gauges, ABS, airbags .... You will need to basically redo the dash, Heater/AC Basically I picture first steps would be to remove everything you can not use.
The car would not be much more of a shell to get all the wiring out of it.

Here in my area, the yearly test for registration is a safety inspection for lights, horn, wipers, turn signals .... You could build this car in Texas. There is no inspection for emissions.

What is your actual goal for the car? A Race car or a daily driver? Either way I just see you stripping the car down to rid it of all the useless articles, install the new drive train, including front end of whatever is needed. Then rebuild the Dash with the HVAC system, new dash board & gauges, then complete wiring. Then pack the family up & move to Texas :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just thinking you are going down to a shell to get all the electrical & drive train out. May as well Narrow the rear end, tub the wheel wells, add a 833 4spd trans, 440 motor DO ET!

#16 ·
I love the old engines/transmissions, powertrains, and while this may be fun, it would be very time and money consuming to get it right.
Another option would be to get a doner HEMI car and swap everything. I had a friend do this with a 3.5L Magnum (swapped for a 5.7L HEMI out of a wrecked Chrysler 300) and swapped ALMOST everything. Car runs and drives, but he has no A/C. Why? The Chrysler had dual zone A/C, the V6 Magnum did not. He failed to swap out the HVAC controls, so now the computer is looking for a dual zone A/C controller that's not there. Hence, no A/C or heat. New cars are complicated...

JS

#18 ·
You'll need custom everything. 440/727 combo is damn near or just over 1000lbs. IIRC my motorhome 440 weighed around 700lbs without carb.

I'm thinking about putting one in a first gen ram but I think the 440 has bad rings maybe valve guides I'm not sure. Don't have time to or money to rebuild it.

What you're wanting to do would be absolutely sick. I like you stepping out of the norm and doing something "stupid". Just ignore everyone telling you to buy the better or newer car. Nothing sounds like a big block but a big block. Who doesn't want to mash the pedal at any time and make lots of noise and smoke?

If you've got the time and money, go for it.

#21 ·
I understand the sentimental value of keeping and using the 440. If it were me, I'd look for a decent A body from 1967-1976 with a solid body but no drivetrain and build the 440 into a 500 stroker, and using a built 727, and maybe a Strange S60 with 3.54 gears, toss them into a 3,000 lb. car. You'd have a hell of a street rocket and tire-frier! I think that'd be the best bang for your buck, plus not to mention the fun factor. Hot streetcar, car show cruiser, and occasional trips to the strip.

#22 ·
There's a guy on Facebook that did a Magnum with a 340 V8. I believe the group is Dodge Magnum Owners. I think the car was painted green. Obviously a smaller engine than a 440, but they could probably tell you what they did to get old school Mopar to work under the hood of a Modern Maggie. I'm a former Magnum R/T owner. They are special cars. Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.