Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the drivers side half shaft with no trouble. The pass side has a support bearing and an extension shaft splined onto the half shaft. Should the half shaft separate from the extension shaft at the spline or do you have to remove the support bearing/holder and pull the ext shaft out of the trans?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Some light smacks on the inner joint might help and a good dose of rust penetrant on the spline
should free it. Old grease can be quite glue ( gluie??) and usually loosens with some heat, dont go wild on heat
to protect the support bearing thou.
Remember to grease the splines on the new shaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shot the splined joint with some PB and a few taps yesterday with no luck. I'll try again today with a little heat plus the PB might of needed some more time to penetrate. Its a tight place to work with the exhaust headers close by. Thumbs up on greasing everything going back in. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turned out there was no easy way to separate the spline after heat and pounding so I pulled the bearing bracket (3 bolts) ,the cv axle, bearing and intermediate shaft all together from the trans. Sledge removed the splined joint which was all rusted on as mentioned by ImperialCrown.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
Old grease can be quite glue ( gluie??)
I Googled this intensively and came up with nothing. I want to vote that gluey is the word you wanted :(

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
yep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts